• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

bacardincoke

Heater Matrix to Block Casting - Part Name ?

bacardincoke

Have had a perpetual small drip coming from the point where the pipe from the hearter matrix connects to the rear of the block... 2 x new rubber pipes and various clips haven't changed things.

Possibility the metal casting is at fault, maybe cracked / corroded for exanmple as it appears to be the original and made of aluminium.

Will hopefully find out for sure in the coming weeks when the car's up on a ramp, as access otherwise is very restricted

In the mean time... does the part highlighted have a recognised name? Found several images of it on servicebox, but none that I can find specifically reference it.

If one is needed would like a head start trying to source it.

Thanks.

water flange.png

petert

That'd be the rear/bottom water distribution block.

• Thanks 1

Thijs_Rallye

If you jack up the car and put it on (decent) axle stands it is perfectly accessible. Practically all of them use a x-ring as a seal, but I've only dealt with the plastic ones, I am not sure if the aluminium one has the recess for the ring. Might be worthwile to call a dealer and order that ring, it wasn't that expensive. (I've tried an o-ring but it kept sweating)

• Thanks 1

Gohn

officially the Water Intake Tank

the pic's for the XU diesel but its shows the plastic version with the flat sealing ring and the metal version with its papery gasket

and the various part numbers

ScanImage180.jpg

• Thanks 1

Telf

i had that part leak on  mine recently. When i built the engine i fitted a plastic variant and found it was leaking from the side where the hex type end cap is. tried to tighten it up but the plastic failed and ended up fitting a metal one i had spare. They can be purchased but be aware(i think tom told me ) that they come in two sizes for the pipe connections. 

If its leaking id take it off- you can get at it easily , clean it up and fit a new gasket with a smear of Hylomar blue. its probably just a knackered seal.

• Thanks 1

farmer

the outlet isn't available any ore on the earlier cars at least

Seals should be ok to get but the plastic outlets come in min order packs

• Thanks 1

bacardincoke

Thanks all... hopefully the cause can be fixed with a clean up of the original intake and allow the pipes to make a leak free seal.

At least if a replacement is needed they seem to be readily available even they are plastic.

Gohn's capture of a servicebox page has high lighted something else for me... just want to check my way of reading / understanding how Peugeot list parts on it is correct?

Sticking with the water intake tank part numbers as an example and bearing in mind his diagram seems to be dated 31/12/1993 -

1336.31 would be the original part number used up to 04/93

That was superceded by 1336 F4 and that ran from 04/93 to 11/93

That in turn was replaced by 1336 G4 commencing on 11/93 and is correct for the time Gohns diagram was published.

Presumably in this example any of them are suitable?

gohn1.JPG

pug_ham

1 hour ago, bacardincoke said:

Gohn's capture of a servicebox page has high lighted something else for me... just want to check my way of reading / understanding how Peugeot list parts on it is correct?

Sticking with the water intake tank part numbers as an example and bearing in mind his diagram seems to be dated 31/12/1993 -

1336.31 would be the original part number used up to 04/93

That was superceded by 1336 F4 and that ran from 04/93 to 11/93

That in turn was replaced by 1336 G4 commencing on 11/93 and is correct for the time Gohns diagram was published.

Presumably in this example any of them are suitable?

Yes, that's how I understand it works as well, all of those part numbers should fit in place of each other.

Don't forget these are for a diesel engine & they are different to the one you need for the GTI engine.

This page shows the correct housing for the earlier metal block but I couldn't find the later plastic type with the o-ring on that site.

g

• Thanks 1

bacardincoke

Cheers... We've had a look at it from beneath and as suspected it's quite badly pitted so probably porous as well hence the very slight drip.

The site you've linked to shows 1336.60 and 1336.H7

I'm guessing the date of 'until 19901201' is 1/12/90... if so, (and the one on my car is the original) that would mean 1336.60 is the part I'm after for a '89 1.9.

The fact they make reference to the 32mm diameter for the 'since 19901201' 1336.H7 means it's different and therefore not suitable for my car?

Usual story though and all the regular on-line stockists are saying the 32mm 1336.H7 is suitable. Very few even mention 1336.60.

Typically 1336.60 seems much harder to find than 1336.H7, when you see an image of either there is quite a difference in diameter at one end, between them.

farmer

They are discontinued 

I have some original old stock left with the seal if you wish to replace 

Edited by farmer

bacardincoke

The aluminium or plastic ones?

I'm finding the plastic 1336.H7 version easily enough (aftermarket brands, not Peugeot), just not sure yet if it's the one (32mm) that I'm going to need.

If it turns out it's the 1336.60 version for my car may have to give you a call thanks

farmer

All replacements i have had have been plastic 

bacardincoke
22 hours ago, Telf said:

i had that part leak on  mine recently. When i built the engine i fitted a plastic variant and found it was leaking from the side where the hex type end cap is. tried to tighten it up but the plastic failed and ended up fitting a metal one i had spare. They can be purchased but be aware(i think tom told me ) that they come in two sizes for the pipe connections. 

If its leaking id take it off- you can get at it easily , clean it up and fit a new gasket with a smear of Hylomar blue. its probably just a knackered seal.

Yours is an 89 1.9, was the plastic one the 32mm (1336.H7)

I realise you didn't have any luck with it, but it was the correct part had it worked?

pug_ham
34 minutes ago, bacardincoke said:

Yours is an 89 1.9, was the plastic one the 32mm (1336.H7)

I'd be surprised to find an 89 car with the plastic outlet, afaik they only started to be fitted towards the end of 1990 or later when the plastic top cambelt covers also became standard.

g

welshpug

I'd agree with that, mine is a mid 89 car with an aluminium piece.

bacardincoke

Found a very old archived post on a french forum which I'm relying on Google to have translated properly, so obviously subject to correction

Seems to confirm what has been said above that the metal piece was only fitted up to late 1989 and there after it became plastic.

The bit that was throwing me off was if you saw images of 1336.60 (which seems to be the first of the post 1989 plastic variety) they have a slim extension with a hex nut affair on the opposite end to where the rubber hose that leads to the metal intermediate pipe attaches.

Seems redundant in my car and was possibly for some sort of sensor, if fitted.

I think all this means that 1336.H7 does infact fit my '89 1.9... it's just that it's been refined through time to do away with that hex nut extension because it's no longer needed.

If the plastic variety were fitted to post 1989 cars there must be quite a few about using them still, do they have a reputation for failing?

1336.H7 seems widely available from all the usual aftermarket makers, but is Peugeots own part superior quality?

farmer

From memory on servicebox H7 fitted cars from arounf 90 onwards only

60 was the replacement for earlier 

welshpug

hex plug is  drain plug, that's the lowest point of the cooling system in the block,

bacardincoke

Sounds like a useful feature, at the moment I'm taking off the lower radiator hose to drain the system. Handy enough but a plug would be more convenient.

If it had been done away with by the time 1336.H7 appears what's the updated draining method?

When you do find listings for 1336.60 some, but not all make mention that it comes 'without thermostat'... would for example some European market cars have had one fitted there?

Telf

It was plastic. When I built the engine I just fitted it. Had several plastic and several cast. It failed and I replaced with a cast one. Pretty sure it should be a cast one on a 1.9   1989. 

• Thanks 1

bacardincoke

Yup... general concensus seems to be it would have been a metal one originally.

Looks like 1336.60 was it's replacement and is more or less a direct copy in plastic of the metal original, including the end hex bolt.

My problem is I can't get a definite answer as to whether or not the later 1336.H7 is a subsequent replacement for 1336.60 and therefore also the metal original.

Plenty of H7's about (dirt cheap), very few plastic 60's (expensive) and no metal ones at all so far.

bacardincoke

Found a genuine Peugeot 1336.60 (plastic) for not too much and went for that... could only find used metal ones and all seemed as well worn as that being replaced.

1336.H7's (non-Peugeot) are cheap enough so got one to compare both suitability and quality.

You can see from the measurements on one of the images there are differences in diameter for the main pipe / openings.... The 2 x smaller ones are identical on both.

All other dimensions are also identical so if the main pipe differences aren't an issue they should be intechangable,

The most obvious difference is the absence of the hex plug extension / drain plug of the older style on the new.

Presumably that was designed out as the tank evolved for whatever reason and isn't essential.

Quality wise the original Peugeot 1336.60 is quite a few notches up from the later 1336.H7 versions, Febi in this case.

The Febi's sounds ceramic and brittle... feels very light and not as well cast, there's already a chip out of it straight from the box. Even the ring seal is cheap feeling, the whole thing just doesn't inspire confidence.

So there you have it... both seem to be suitable, but if you can get a metal one, brilliant, otherwise a good second is the proper Peugeot plastic version. The current non Peugoet ones seem to be cheap for a reason.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg