• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kachel

Eccentric tensioner

kachel

Hi all, I am fitting a new cambelt for my 1.9 DFZ engine. It is the 114 tooth belt. I am used to the 113 belts with spring tensioner. Maybe a stupid question but how does the eccentric tensioner work? 

Thijs_Rallye

Rotate it until the belt has the correct tension. Does you DFZ come with this tensioner as standard?

petert

Make sure you rotate it the right way! If incorrect it will undo itself. It must be anti-clockwise.

kachel

Thanks Thijs and Petert. Yes this DFZ engine comes with the eccentric tensioner. It is from 93/94. 

So when fitted I must turn the tensioner anti clock wise to get tension on the beld. How do I turn it? I haven't received the kit yet so I'm curious. 

What is the right tension of the beld? 

welshpug

you need an 8mm square tool to turn the tensioner, 13mm nut/bolt to secure it in place,   I have used a halfords sump plug bit socket on these, I do now have an appropriately shaped tool from a timing belt tool kit.

correct tension is between 1/4 and 1/2 turn on the longest run of the timing belt without excessive force

Edited by welshpug

petert

I just file two edges off an 8mm Allen key. 

Dimi

See attached photo, something close to what petert recommends. I filed and filed and got tired, so pulled out a dremmel too and grinded the final result....

I did mine belt with the engine in place so clearance was an issue so this helped me tension correctly.

Everything I learned about the process and summoning the courage to diy is thanks to the guys on this forum!

IMG_20200907_223257.jpg

petert

Like this:

IMG_9686.jpg

kachel

Thanks a lot guys! Great info. It seems that I already have the tool with the square end on it. I use it also for the oil plug. 

Henry Yorke

I use a Halfords sump plug with a spanner in it.  I would also recommend swapping out the horrible torx bit bolt with a normal one with a 13mm head. This is much easier to get tightened / untightened when in site. Later XUs like 306’s have this bolt