• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BrianC

Shocks and bushings

BrianC

Long time lurker here but rarely post. I'm looking for opinions on suspension and bushes, I've 2 205 GTis that will be getting alot of work done in the coming 6 months. One is already at the garage for complete strips down and recondition underneath.

I know in the past it was always said OEM Peugeot is the best for bushes, these no longer seem to be available in the OEM kit 3599.07. Are people using any particular alternative rubber bushes, I know polybushes are generally considered not great on a 205 is that correct? I'm also open to replacing the wishbones entirely so if people are using a brand they feel is as good as OEM I'll go with that.

Also I'll be replacing the shocks aswel, what do people recommend? I know Bilstein have been recommended is it best to stick with them or is there alternatives that people are using.

Edit: forgot to add will also need ARB so recommendations on those too.

Cheers

Edited by BrianC

welshpug

autodoc still list sasic bushes very reasonably priced, oem arb bushes are polyurethane and very long lasting.

baker bm have started making wishbone bushes also.

bilstein are good, just ensure the rears are the larger bodied variants, or jusy buy xsara rears, thats if you are looking for oem replacement which is the black bodied B4 dampers.

worth noting that many of the wishbone bush kits did have an incorrect spec screw instead of a bolt, so worth checking you have the right type fitted, as well as the pinch bolts.

fresh nyloc nuts would suffice if the fasteners are otherwise in good condition.

BrianC

Cheers for the reply, I see the sasic bushes alright on autodoc so I may just go with them, I'll get the balljoints inspected first to make sure I don't need full wishbones

I'll stick with Bilsteins then I think and get new B4 dampers

jackherer

I wish I'd bought more in the nineties when they were about £12.

welshpug

:blink:   where's the ROFL emoji?!

even in the late noughties they were only just over twenty quid!

Type-R

If you want a direct replacement for OE shocks TRW or Sachs come closest. KYB Ultra SR are popular in France, as are the Peugeot Boutique sport shocks.

As for the ARB bushes, stiff poly ones work well and don't affect NVH at all. Powerflex are overpriced though, IMO.

I've also heard these guys are very good for GTIs but I've not personally tried them: http://www.amortisseurs-viarouge.com/philosophie.html

Just throwing some alternatives out there.

DamirGTI

I've Sachs shocks on my daily 205 for well over 10 years now , great quality , highly recommended ...

I keep on hearing people complaining lately on Bilsten shocks , like they gone a bit down quality wise ?! (currently production shifted in Romania) .

Bushes , try Sasic ... few times in a row i found "Kleber Industrial" OE wishbone bushes inside Sasic package (i think Kleber makes rubber parts for Sasic brand) . Also , the same thing happened with Hutchinson bushes - "Kleber Industrial" in the box .

D