• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gary C

How easy is it to get the steering rack out?

Gary C

looking to put a quaife quick rack on mine but may reconsider if the engine has to come out, anyone done it ?

Edited by Gary C

acox99

Believe you can drop the subframe At the back and wiggle It out

jackherer

You only need to lower the subframe to remove a PAS rack. You don't need to remove anything to remove/install a manual rack.

Ozymandis
13 hours ago, jackherer said:

You only need to lower the subframe to remove a PAS rack. You don't need to remove anything to remove/install a manual rack.

What Kieran says.

If its PAS its still not difficult, bit of fiddling about.

Gary C

Thanks guys its not PAS.

davemar

The most awkward bit was getting the steering column off the splined shaft. 20+ years of being stuck on meant getting it off was a struggle, and needed a cold chisel to act as a wedge to split it apart.

The other thing I had trouble with was someone had replaced the two square nuts that hold the rack to the sub-frame with normal hex nuts. Unfortunately these don't lock into the rack's body, so spin when trying to undo them; but a normal socket was to wide to grab onto them. So I hope yours has the square nuts that lock in place.