• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

Tank and breather hoses location

Telf

What engine are you running Daniel?

jackherer
On 8/10/2020 at 10:21 PM, Telf said:

Having driven the car a few miles now there is a definite improvement so maybe I've been wrong all along and it was MAP related.

Go back to the original map and see if it gets worse to prove it.

Daniel306
21 hours ago, Telf said:

What engine are you running Daniel?

Xu10J2TE, Those 15 AFR targets in your map not a but too much? and 10% Min/Max is also Huge, iv got 660cc injectors so it is for me anyway. You also said about the injectors cutting to zero? Do you have overrun fuel cut checked in the RPM events tab?

Mine was stinking of petrol, Well, more than a pre Cat car should. Turned out to be the vented catch can,

Edited by Daniel306

Telf

The 15.0 are basically when it hits 70 or 80 and I let the throttle off. Load site low speed high. Having tested it it gets into that region only on very light throttle. Practically only just maintaining current speed. 

I sent the initial AFR to emerald who said yeah it looks ok. 

I'll check about the overrun fuel. I've watched the injection duration. Whe. You drop off the throttle at speed it shows 0.

Mine doesn't have a catch can . It's normal breather set up and all new hoses. When the bonnet is open and idling or blipping the throttle it doesn't smell of fuel in the engine bay just of hot slightly oily old car

Telf

It seems to spend most of the time around 14.3-14.8 .

Daniel306

Was just reading about it and all i can find is about " Lean Cruse"  for fuel economy, Not sure its the kind of car that needs it.  I will use adaptive mode but never more than + - 5%, i will let it update the Corrections map but id never apply them to the injection map. Car was mapped with a knock sensor, properly calibrated o2 sensor and someone who actually knows what they are doing 

Telf

Well lean cruise is pretty handy provided you don't require the power . At 4000 revs 70mph it's not needed hence 15.0.

As soon as you bury the throttle it jumps to 12.8 so plenty of poke.

As I see it so called experts really arent that great. I know my engine and car. I know how it feels as a standard car . As long as it feels like that then apply days. These arent modern cars. If anybody else has an 8V Map id love to see it please.

Daniel306

What is it that you find handy?

Telf

finally had a chance to play around a bit today.

I've adjusted the AFR target table making it a basic 14.7 when just normal driving and left the lean in the motorway cruise area.

I adjusted the feedback table to enable adaptive mode across a wide range (to see what is going on ) and took the car for a run . 

I found that the system is adding red corrections in the normal driving mode areas - so that would appear to mean its adding to the injection table. surprised by this.

I'm going to leave it in adaptive and check again after a few 100 miles. 

I've had  couple of car enthusiasts sit as passengers and have taken them for a drive around. Their general thoughts all run like so " yes there is a faint smell but thats just old non cat cars"

So question fair people - do your 205's have any smell - i mean am i just used to driving modern cars that don't have any real smell at all as its mostly removed by the cat etc?

2020-09-07.png

2020-09-07 (1).png

MrStock

I had the fuel smelling like you when window was open. After years of searching i found the issue. The new baker line that comes from the tank to the engine room. It is the connection fuel pipe in engine room to fuel line that goes to the fuel filter. Iam not able to get it 100 percent tight. So i used a tape from military and put it 100 times around it. No fuel smell now, but i know that wont hold forever.

Telf

Would it not be leaking?

I've had that pipe off and on a few times as a likely suspect buy never found any signs of a leak at all. 

Telf

Took the pressure line off today - steel and Flexi up to the filter. Checked the union between the two and applied some PTFE tape and hilomar. Refitted. , Leak checked and took for a run . 

Wife in passenger seat , cracking window open and closed , doing circuits around the local roads and up and down the A12 at speed.

No smell. Seems fixed.

jackherer

I'd ask for my money back. Especially after that email you told me about the other day. Although it's cost you a lot more than the purchase price of the pipes.

Gohn

I've done this

sorry if I'm repeating as I haven't read the full post , but I can send what might help

my process was a little different to yours as I assume you're not converting to diesel

because I was going from petrol to diesel I blanked off a couple of the breather pipe holes

the tank has fuel feed, fuel return and a breather hole with 3mm hose which loops up round the filler neck where there's a bulb and then back to the tank

I think this loop hose is supposed to condense the fumes from the top of the tank and run it back down into the tank as liquid

I dont have the Petrol schematics for the tank so I've attached what I have (diesel) but it still shows most of it

the tank has the large filler pipe with an equaliser pipe on the side (the smaller one). it runs up from the connection on the tank thru the hole in the wheel arch shown and connects by pipe to the filler neck

it also runs alongside the vapour hose which is the thin looped one with what looks like a filter bulb

this loops up from the tank connection hose (which I have cut off), thru the same hole in the wheel arch which has a rubber grummet around it, is zip tied at various points and up around the filler pipe head which has the large rubber gasket thing that holds everything in place.

from memory this thin vapour hose (which only matters on the petrol because diesel is not that volatile) goes out, thru wheel arch, up filler neck, loops back down, back thru wheel arch hole, and runs up to the front of the car connected to a thicker clear hose about 5mm ID. This hose connects to some charcoal activated enviro contraption or other at the left front. its a black cylinder with two bent spigots for the hoses to connect to. one for the hose from the filler neck, the other goes ...ah cant remember.

anyway, on the tank pic 4 you can see the the fuel pump and sender tops, the vapour hose (cut off and still under the little plastic corner stay), and what I call the equaliser pipe fixture which the smaller black filler hose plugs onto

76.jpg

75.jpg

ScanImage170.jpg

tank1.JPG

tank2.JPG

tank3.JPG

tank4.JPG

• Thanks 1

Telf

As mentioned I've left the ECU in adaptive mode for about 200 miles a d here are the results. (See pic)

It seems to be trying to shorten the fuel pulses in the mid range although its not massively out. Maybe I'll have to take it back to the rolling Road again 

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1601717111187_6718088486321795528.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1601717441531_6718089871883531826.jpeg

Richie-Van-GTi

Ghon, Ive just had mine all apart and there is nowhere for that to run back to the tank. I believe it runs to the charcoal canister on the inner wing on later cars. Mine didnt have that and the pipe seemed to run to the breather valve which then just went up and was left open in the top of the filler neck. The breather valve is essentially a one way valve that allows the tank draw air in as the fuel level drops but wont let fuel out in the event of over filling / rolling the car etc.