• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

brianthemagical

Any recent Nissens purchases?

brianthemagical

I've just has a new rad delivered (1.9 GTi, non-aricon), apparently made Nissens.

It's in a Nissens box and has a Nissens sticker on the side, but the general quality doesn't inspire confidence.

Comparing to the genuine Nissens rad I have in the car, albeit over 10 years old, (with Nissens moulded into one of the end tanks) there are may significant difference. 

So I'm wondering if this is a knock-off, although I don't know where the boxes would have come from, re-selling cheapo low quality radiators as genuine.

Saying that, it only cost £45 off eBay, so I don't really know what I was expecting. If it's too good to be true...

Do I use it anyway, knowing I may need to replace it in a few years?

_20200715_122431.JPG

_20200715_122536.JPG

Edited by brianthemagical

dcc

People seem to prefer AdRad over nissens due to recent drop in quality

AlexRS2782

I bought a Nissens heater matrix for mine last year - quality of that was pretty good & fitted well.  Only letdown was, as expected, the fact one of the heater matrix pipes isn't the right shape / angle on one bend, slightly too short to connect to the hose & not correctly flanged - thankfully Miles managed to use a decent quality original pipe instead.

farmer

I use the Valeo ones seem to be ok 

Same on Matrixs

Ozymandis
26 minutes ago, farmer said:

Same on Matrixs 

Matrices.

Nissen now manufactures in  all the favourite Globalised capital, cheap labour areas.

I presume that production engineers were heavily involved in the new plants and cheese pared every thing possible with the new products.

I don't think its fake, they are just not as good as older production.

I have some Spanish made ones the name escapes me, and they are identical to an original, whiteish plastic end tank one from 1993. I think it might be Ordonez or something like that.

I have 205`s with no name garbage, Nissens, Serck, Ordonez, and Valeo all are fine after 10 to 25 yrs

The only 205 rads I ever have leak are the brass/ copper traditional type with corrosion , and some older Valeo ones where the top connection is a separate piece fastened via screws the O ring hardens and leaks.

We have fitted a good few no name cheap rads to all sorts of cars over the last dozen years or so since  fleabay became popular ,and had no more problems than other makes including genuine manufacturer supplied parts. I particularly remember a JDM Honda with a transmission cooler and a oil/water engine cooler all built in,was 400quid plus , the fleabay no name was 45quid and is still keeping its cool 10 yrs later.

I got a fleabay (China)?all alloy 205 rad for less than a Nissens recently, just to have a look at one, doesn't leak, seems v strong, fits properly and looks all very tigged,  and racey if You like that kinda thing.

Daniel306

I'd be interested in seeing how that's Nissan's one works, looks like there is loads of surface area for cooling. I had the old type Nissan's and swapped it for a darrenza, not sure on the name.. but I don't think it was worth the money, and it's a bit too short to fit correctly 

Edited by Daniel306

brianthemagical

Thanks for the replies guys.

Sounds like it's worth fitting. For £45 its about as cheap as any rad I could find. Given the Nissen it's replacing is bent and has been held together with rad weld for the last 10 years, the new should be fine.

I'll feedback on fit up when I get chance, but It'll be a few weeks, and maybe longer before its next drive.