• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

bacardincoke

Rear Wheel Spacing...

bacardincoke

Noticed a while back that the postion of the rear wheel in relation to the curvature of the arch seems to vary on some 1.9 cars, if the images on the inter-web are to be believed.

Plenty of contradictiory info. about too as to the reason, however one explaination pins it down to the rear beam mounting (3B in the schematic) being different for 1.9's with its offset bolts and also being sided as a result... If mounted incorrectly they can apparently push the wheel rearwards.

I ask because I've reverted to 185/55 15's from 195/50's and the increased height, though small has brought the tread very close to the bumper arch. It's not as pronounced on my car as the images below (filched from the www.) but enough not to make the wheel central in the arch.

The car's going in for some work soon and the rear beam is being checked over at the same time. We think it's been overhauled in it's recent past but want to be sure, so it may well be that if it was worked on the mounts are now wrongly fitted or non-1.9 items.

There's a lengthy thread on Aussiefrogs, but some of the images are long since gone.

I was hoping if someone had more recent ones, and can confirm whether or not it's possible to check correct fitment without getting into removing everything so as to help save the mechanic unnecessary time / effort... While they're an old school garage, they don't see 205's every day!

Cheers.

arch4.gif

arch2.jpg

arch1.jpg