• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Wallypug205

Fuel pump relay

Wallypug205

Hi all this has probably been discussed before so apologies for that. I had issues with my fuel pump relay had to physically tap the side of the internal coil to activate the fuel pump. The car started but since then I have replaced it with a new relay and it’s not starting but when I put the old one on it starts. The new one is huco and all the pins etc match up. Am I missing something here? Or do I need a oem valeao. Please help 

62C67EC1-9A82-4A7E-B8FC-90814FAE9FB6.jpeg

30AA3EA4-3F0E-4EC8-8D30-2019E5DD89CF.jpeg

image.jpg

Philpooma

Will be interested to see how you get on. I’m at the final assembly stage after a restoration and I have no power to my fuel pump or any of the other fuel related system. I have 13.5v going into the tacky relay that you have detailed, but nothing coming out. I have ordered a new one so hope that this will solve my issue.

good luck with yours

jackherer

OE is either Valeo or Cartier. I've never heard of Huco.

If your old one works when you tap it check for dry solder joints, it's very common on these relays and if you resolder them they can be as good as new afterwards.

• Thanks 1

Ozymandis
28 minutes ago, jackherer said:

OE is either Valeo or Cartier. I've never heard of Huco.

If your old one works when you tap it check for dry solder joints, it's very common on these relays and if you resolder them they can be as good as new afterwards.

+1

Soldering irons Your weapon of choice here.

I have heard of HUCO, poor quality pattern HONDA/ROVER ignition module in my case. Went in the bin, and was swapped for a good S/H one.

• Thanks 1

SWINNEY

Ive had a huco one in my car for a couple of years now after getting two s/h ones that failed and its been fine

SootySport

If you remove the cover of the relay and crank the engine, the relay should operate, you should hear a faint click and it will pass 12volts to your fuel pump via fuse 14.   To simulate this, turn on ignition and press the relay armature to operate manually and again look for 12v at fuse 14 or listen for the fuel pump running.   It’s best to use a meter in case the pump is faulty.  The thick white wire is the one that carries 12v to fuse 14 from the tacheymetric relay.  
Check the fuse has a 15amp fuse and it’s not blown as well, again preferably with your meter.  You can even trust cheap fuses these days.

kachel

In my case it were the clips inside the connector you put on the fuel relay. I had to push them out a little bit so the connection between the relay and connector became better. 

Wallypug205

So the update on this was the huco one was absolute garbage didn’t start the car had to hold the spring on the side for the pump to activate so have ordered a Cartier one hopefully Thursday should be the day it purrs 

Wallypug205

Anyone have a spare Valeo or Cartier relay they wish to sell? The guy I was supposed to get mine from hasn’t delivered so stuck with a dead car

Ozymandis
Wallypug205

Cartier fuel relay is the one gentleman lol came to life straight away and without a soldering iron although that may be required for something else down the line.  Thanks for your help it’s now off to the body shop for welding 

Wallypug205
On 7/4/2020 at 10:28 AM, Philpooma said:

Will be interested to see how you get on. I’m at the final assembly stage after a restoration and I have no power to my fuel pump or any of the other fuel related system. I have 13.5v going into the tacky relay that you have detailed, but nothing coming out. I have ordered a new one so hope that this will solve my issue.

good luck with yours

To be honest when I installed the relay it wasn’t  starting so I took the battery out left it for some time mean while cleaned all the fuel pump connections under the seat said a pray then dropped the battery in and it started good luck with yours

Wallypug205
Just now, Wallypug205 said:

To be honest when I installed the relay it wasn’t  starting so I took the battery out left it for some time mean while cleaned all the fuel pump connections under the seat said a pray then dropped the battery in and it started good luck with yours

Defo go for a Cartier or Valeo if you want a huco they 34 at gsf

Philpooma
On 7/28/2020 at 12:57 AM, Wallypug205 said:

As an update, I received the new relay, plugged it in and nothing had changed.

I then wired the fuel pump directly to the battery just to check the pump was OK, which it was.

After this I plugged in the electrical cars connectors, with the old relay, tried the engine again and .........I have a working fuel pump.

Maybe the extra kick from the battery did the trick, who knows, just happy its now working :D