• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Philip

1.9 rear brake overhaul - a number of questions if i may ?

Philip

Doing a Full overhaul of calipers, lines, flexi hoses and brackets.

1. All the brackets that hold the solid pipe to flexi joints are very corroded (one above the rear beam, the one under the lower shock mount and the one on the caliper itself) can you buy new ones of these anymore ? or has someone re-manufactued them in stainless.

2. A search on here has shown that its common practice to remove the very short flexi pipe that fits into the caliper and just run a copper pipe from the caliper all the way to the flexi hose that goes around the beam tube like 306's, Xsara's etc have as standard. This sounds like a good idea, has anyone any photos they could share that show the exact routing. 

3. When i invariably shear off  the seized bleed nipple on the rear caliper, what thread size is it so i can order a new one in advance ?

4. The flexi pipe that curves around the ream beam tube has a spring wrapped round it currently, the new ones that arrived today don't have a spring , are they wrong? is it it essential ? (they are ok length wise)

Thanks

pug_ham
On 6/6/2020 at 3:05 PM, Philip said:

Doing a Full overhaul of calipers, lines, flexi hoses and brackets.

1. All the brackets that hold the solid pipe to flexi joints are very corroded (one above the rear beam, the one under the lower shock mount and the one on the caliper itself) can you buy new ones of these anymore ? or has someone re-manufactued them in stainless.

2. A search on here has shown that its common practice to remove the very short flexi pipe that fits into the caliper and just run a copper pipe from the caliper all the way to the flexi hose that goes around the beam tube like 306's, Xsara's etc have as standard. This sounds like a good idea, has anyone any photos they could share that show the exact routing. 

3. When i invariably shear off  the seized bleed nipple on the rear caliper, what thread size is it so i can order a new one in advance ?

4. The flexi pipe that curves around the ream beam tube has a spring wrapped round it currently, the new ones that arrived today don't have a spring , are they wrong? is it it essential ? (they are ok length wise)

Thanks

1. Not that I'm aware of, you should be able to clean them up & repaint them sufficiently to keep them in use or try to find second hand replacements in better condition that your's.  There was a hint that BakerBM might be planning to remake them but I haven't heard any development on that for a while.

2. I think there might be a couple of pictures on other topic's previously on here but basically follow the route of the original solid pipe to flexi, just continuing the solid pipe, almost the same as the drum braked models really but a little longer to reach the caliper.

3. Bleed nipples are M7x1 thread but getting the remaining sheared nipple out means it's often easier to source reconditioned calipers instead imo.

4. Ideally, yes.  it's there as protection because of the pipe routing around the beam exposing it to possible damage from foreign objects on the road as you drive along.

g

Philip

Thanks, really appreciated

pug_ham

No worries.

With regards to the spring, I think you should be able to remove it from your old pipe & screw it on to the new one if you still have it.

g