• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
artois7

Clutch stuck after sitting - 1.9

artois7

Hi all,

I suspect I know the answer but I thought I'd check anyway (plus I did a search and didn't see a similar topic).

I have a 309 that was sitting for 17 odd years, but the clutch moved OK and selected gears no problem. I then drained the gearbox and left it without oil for a while, and when I came back to it, it appears the clutch is stuck to the flywheel. I can still select gears but it free wheels as if the clutch was held in. The pedal is still fine too.

Now I'm fairly sure I just need to let it get hot whilst on axle stands, turn it off, start it again in gear and give it some revs until the clutch hopefully frees off, which is what I plan to do this weekend. 

Any other advice?

Tom Fenton

On stands forget it. I've had this in the past when I'd power washed an engine and then not driven it straight after to dry the clutch out. You need to drive it under enough engine load to break the friction plate free from the flywheel, by driving it with the clutch pedal pressed and plenty of loud pedal until it breaks free.

welshpug

I have had this when I fitted a donor engine and box into my mum's 405, turns out the 306 had been sat for 2 years without a bonnet !

drove it down the lane in 2nd gear plenty of revs then step on clutch and brake hard, didn't fancy sending it right up to the governor

artois7

Hmm, the car is in my unit on an old farm so I have no way to move it to somewhere I can drive it. Not the news I wanted! 

artois7

Actually, thinking about it, the car won't engage a gear so I wouldn't be able to drive it anyway... /facepalm

welshpug

you would, start it in gear

welshpug

a farm is ideal place to do it, bettet than public road!

• Like 1

Ozymandis

R

Edited by Ozymandis