• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

kingston-dave

BE1 Gearbox Missing Parts

kingston-dave

Hi All.

I'm new to this forum, in fact, I'm new to forums full stop. So I apologize in advance if I'm not using this site properly.

Here's my situation. I purchased an abandoned project (1988 205 GTI 1.9). The engine, gearbox and loads of other bits had been removed by the previous owner, so this will be my first post of many I feel, as I try to put this car back together.

I have re-built the engine, and its time to mate the engine to the gearbox (once I get the correct clutch release bearing, but that's another story).

Please take a look at the attached image (sorry for the poor quality). Can anyone tell me what the large black nut and washer is on the top of the gearbox? It is missing on my gearbox, and you can look down a threaded hole and see the selector shaft as it moves. Help!!!!

Regards, Dave

IMG_2126.thumb.JPG.0dd12d1ffa272c940b642e5e7c3039b8.JPG

Ozymandis

Its the breather hole to let air in and out as the volume of oil expands and contracts depending on the temperature.

Its a two piece plastic thing, the top is missing in the picture. Isnt that a BE3 in the picture?

Tom Fenton

Is that your actual box?

Be3 has a breather as Jay mentions

Be1 has the lift reverse cable and plunger fitted there to prevent you getting reverse instead of 1st.

Does the car have a lift collar on the gearstick?

kingston-dave

Hi guys, thanks for your help. 

Jay, you are right to say the picture of the box I posted was a BE3, but it was the only image I could find showing something fitted to the hole in question. 

The first image below, is of my actual box. Tom, thanks for the info on the lift for reverse cable. Image two shows the cable I found lurking in the engine bay. 1st problem of may resolved. Thank you both again.

The third image shows my next issue. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume this hole is so that you can check the ignition timing against the marks on the flywheel. However, does anyone have a picture of what the cover plate should look like? I have boxes full of parts that came with the car, and most of them have yet to find a home :rolleyes:.

Dave.

IMG_2128.JPG

IMG_2129.JPG

IMG_2132 (Edited).JPG

SRDT

There is a speed sensor here so that you can plug it to the old Peugeot dealer's diagnostic tool.

Today it's mostly useless.

welshpug
3 hours ago, SRDT said:

There is a speed sensor here so that you can plug it to the old Peugeot dealer's diagnostic tool.

Today it's mostly useless.

no, thats for the crank sensor on a motronic ecu.

the old diagnostic speed sensor is to the rear of the block.

the slot forward of this hole is where the ignition timing plate sits, but is bolted to the block, not required theae days really, time it by ear.

SRDT

Sorry my bad.

kingston-dave

Thanks for all your help guys.

Dave