• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gaz205

Sunroof whistling!

Gaz205

I've had until now a perfectly good sunroof and today as I drive its whistling like crazy. The vacuum is inflating and deflating fine and I have had the seal off and can see and hear all the air escape. I've submerged it in boiling water to loosen it up a bit and refitted it.

There is slight movement in the glass pushing it upwards, it doesn't Leak at all. 

I don't have the correct windscreen seal but it's only today I've stArted with the issue.

Is this seal related, not pulling enough vac or is it likely caused by the black trim around it? Nothing seems to have changed at all to cause this.

Are there steps to go through to fault find? I've put another seal in that came with the car but fitting it was messy, all the grippy section of it was distorted and although it inflates more tightly against the glass the noise still remains.

Annoying!!!

Telf

have you checked the handle assembly? i mean is the spring ok? there are 2 screws that screw into the front trim on the roof from the inside of the car- are they secure?

Maybe the plastic on the glass is loose or the nylon washer damaged? when i rebuilt mine it whistled but i carefully tightened everything and added silicon sealant under screws ( a tiny drop) it stopped, doesnt leak and doesnt whistle.

Gaz205

Thanks Paul, disassembly and reassembly is prob needed then. Do the front trims just make it look better or do they serve wind break purposes do you know? as I never over tightened them for fear of damaging them after the respray. 

Just have to find time with a 4 and one year old now........

Gaz205

All fixed, checked everything as suggested... ended up pushing some spare vac hose under the front edge edge of the seal. Works a treat.

• Like 1