• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Kagor

Cooling fan switch variants

Kagor

Hi,

I have done a good search on the forum but could not find a clear answer, hence another temperature switch question for you.

The car is a 205 GTI 1989 1,9L XU9JAZ (DKZ)

My radiator fan does not turn on during normal use and I am risking overheating the engine at stand stills. The work on the coolant system so far: the thermostat is replaced and opens correctly, the cooler radiator core is replaced to a new Nissens one, also a new heater core is installed. I did troubleshoot the fan motor and it powers on when 12V is fed directly.

At the moment, I am suspecting the coolant temperature switch and want to order a new one, however, I cannot work on the car for a while, to pull out and identify the old temp switch.

Is there a way to find the correct part number and temperature range installed on the car by some other way?

I am of course considering models valid up to 01/1990, as the pin arrangement on my switch is the early type with two vertical and one horizontal pin.

945767277_TemperatSwitch.thumb.png.e4fc4d5293e5dec1f0b2b338ba8be7e7.png

Thank you ^_^

petert

Hi, being DKZ, I take it yours is Motronic? If so, I thought it would have had the later type with three pins in a row. A connector similar to the throttle body?

Tom Fenton

Correct switch for a GTI in the UK is 1264 22.

It is identified by a red band around the switch body.

Check your car as it may be different in Europe.

DamirGTI

For ID which of the temp. variations you have , will need to undo and remove the switch from the radiator and read the temp. ratings written on the switch .

Over here , i found purple ring switches common fitment ...

D

petert

Being a DKZ, I assumed it would be like this, with 87-92 and 92-97 cut offs.

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 8.18.00 pm.png

Kagor
7 hours ago, petert said:

Hi, being DKZ, I take it yours is Motronic? If so, I thought it would have had the later type with three pins in a row. A connector similar to the throttle body?

The registered engine output is 90kw, which seems like a DKZ. However 1989 is the transition phase, the car exterior/interior looks like phase 1,5.

Kagor

Is there an easy way to identify the Motronic system?

Kagor
4 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

Correct switch for a GTI in the UK is 1264 22.

It is identified by a red band around the switch body.

Check your car as it may be different in Europe.

Hmmm, this one is the hot running one.

petert

Look at the dizzy cap. Which one?

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 8.25.56 pm.png

welshpug

its totally separate to the cooling fan control so I wouldn't worry about that.

but the MOTRONIC printed on the ecu is rather a large giveaway, also the AFM has a different part number, and the distributor doesnt have a vacuum advance and there will be a crank sensor in the top of the bellhousing.

petert

Yes, whilst fan control is separate, they work differently. The Motronic version turns the relays on by switching the negative(s) not the positive(s).

welshpug

is that for the ac twinfan setup?

Kagor
3 hours ago, petert said:

Look at the dizzy cap. Which one?

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 8.25.56 pm.png

It looks like the black one.

Kagor
6 hours ago, DamirGTI said:

For ID which of the temp. variations you have , will need to undo and remove the switch from the radiator and read the temp. ratings written on the switch .

Over here , i found purple ring switches common fitment ...

D

Ok, thanks!

One manufacturer of temp switches suggest these, The colour markings seems to have appeared with the transition to the later three pin in a row model. I think someone else on this forum has also confirmed that.

Temperat Switch FAE.jpg

DamirGTI

Yes , previous models switches had only temp. rating written on them .. no color markings .

Later ones have both , but can be a bit hit and miss going just by color markings depending on the brand of the switch .. certainly isn't standardized between all the aftermarket manufactures , so always double check the switch rating written/embossed on the actual switch or particular switch specs. if buying online .

D

Kagor

Just had a look at the temp switch and  it was indeed the early model |_|

temperature range: 97/92-110/96 deg C

Part number:  1264 22

Thank you all for your help!

petert

I've never seen a DKZ with an early temp sensor. You learn something everyday.

Yes Mei, I was referring to twin fan setups, whether early or late.

Kagor

I am really confused, the parts vendor recommends a couple of lower temp range models and never mentions the higher temp 1264 22 why is this so difficult :wacko: Has there been a service bulletin out or what? I have no history of the car, the fan has never been working properly before, so no reference.

To maintain ideal engine temperature, I suppose that the location of the temp switch makes a difference, coupled with some other factors, hence the different options of temp range.

In how many positions can you find these switches in?

Am I overthinking this or how sensitive are these aluminum block engines? The last thing I want to see is engine damage from excessive heat or a noisy fan.

welshpug

they will be fine on the standard switch.

Kagor
1 hour ago, welshpug said:

they will be fine on the standard switch.

Hi welshpug,

do you mean 1264 22 ranging between 97/92 - 101-96 deg C 

Thanks.

DamirGTI

Personally , i see no need for the highest rating switch .. in fact i tend to avoid them .

I'd go with the middle range switch , that'll be "97-92 92-87" or purple/violet as Peter posted above ... along/combine with the 88C thermostat .

D

petert

It's very important to match the thermostat to the switch. For example, if you fit an 82 switch with a 92 thermostat, the fan(s) never turn off.

• Like 1

Kagor

I wouldn't want that for sure. :)

The current thermostat is an 89 deg C, I'll try to fit a 1264 18 switch, 93/88 - 97/92 deg C

Thank you all.