• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ydoidoit

Wiring identification and advice please!

ydoidoit

Hi, I need some help with my 205 jigsaw. To cut a long story short I bought the 205 as a none runner fitted with a mi16 lump. The engine was toast and the wiring a real mess, so I ripped it all out and fitted a gti6 lump and converted the engine loom using the guide on here. The car then got put on the back burner for 8 years. 

I've now moved it to the front burner again but I'm struggling with some of the original wiring. I've never seen how it was originally done due to my car having already been messed with when I bought it and I've gone cross eyed from looking at wiring diagrams and pictures of other people's engine bays.

Can someone please help identify the following connectors for me?

I can't find an r9 wire in any diagram. 

20200424_095518.thumb.jpg.73037101515cfc5993a03ecd76f7c3b1.jpg

These are marked R1 and R2 which seems to be to a dim/dip resistor, but I don't know where this is located. 

20200424_095547.thumb.jpg.d8f73fae530c3e435ec7d3336d12201a.jpg

From looking at other pictures I believe these go to the shunt box. I don't have a shunt box, so do I need to buy one or is it no longer required on a gti6 conversion? 

20200424_095615.thumb.jpg.f447e970a0912634d8afe9c0b9d75f24.jpg20200424_095632.thumb.jpg.41d911e77030f382eaaaf797e3bd4afb.jpg

Thanks in anticipation. Ben.

Tom Fenton

Red plug not used on a GTI

Dim dip resistor is a small metal cylinder similar looking to the rad fan resistor

Last two plugs go to the shunt box, yes you do need it, it takes a feed from the battery pos and distributes it to the rest of the car.

welshpug

yep, from memory the plug with single brown wire feeds the injection system and the 2 brown wires feed the fusebox and rest of the car.

ydoidoit

Thanks for your quick replies. So my next task seems to be, buy a shunt box and a dim/dip resistor. 

One last quick question. My car doesn't seem to have an earth point behind the front washer bottle on the inner wing. Was there another standard location they used nearby?

Ryan

The dim-dip resistor is normally mounted on the front panel underneath the passenger headlamp. But they're often missing or just don't work, and if not I wouldn't worry about it as dim-dip isn't needed or tested during an MOT.

Telf

when i remade my engine loom i wired all the earths onto the gearbox stud - same place the Battery -ve connects to. Also for a couple of the ancillary systems wired the earths into the studs were the ignition amp plate is.

other that that there are the 2 earth blocks just behind the headlight panel 

ydoidoit

Cheers guys thanks for that.