• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dogbreath

205 stiff steering

dogbreath

Hi, my 205 diesel has recently become very stiff on the steering. It does not have power steering.

The upper suspension bearings were replaced a couple of years ago and are not seized. I disconnected track rod ends and the road wheels moved freely.

Steering also doesn't want to re centre after turning.  

What is the likely cause?

Has done 170,000 miles.

thanks, steve

Tom Fenton

Lower steering column UJ seized or tight is where I'd look first of all. After that I suppose it could be the steering rack itself, but personally never had a problem with a tight steering rack.

dogbreath

squirted Rost off around the area of the UJ and seemed to free things up a lot. Is that the best course of action short of replacing joint. Read in the haynes and it is a bit of a ball ache to remove the steering wheel and upper shaft.

welshpug

you don't need to remove the upper shaft, I think there's enough wiggle room once the bottom joint of the upper shaft is disconnected to remove the lower.

Tom Fenton

It’s not a hard job to get the lower column out to be honest. Remove pinch bolts one on rack one in car. Slide joint towards steering wheel to release it from the rack end. Then slide it the other way to release it from the column then you can remove it from the car. I have recently seen on eBay a replacement joint spider and bearings to repair it.