• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

bacardincoke

Oil cooler...

bacardincoke

My car's a bog standard 1989 Phase 1.5, 1.9 GTI, UK spec... Would it have originally been equipped with an oil cooler, the air cooled type?

I ask because my car has had its radiator changed in its past to the twin fan TD version.

Am I correct in saying (if it did have this type of oil cooler and it was removed for the conversion) that it would have been sited in what was originally the empty side of the cowling of the one fan set up?

SRDT

1.9 with power steering, A/C or a cat (XU9JAZ) have the remote water to air cooler:

2F11A25B.gif

Others have the oil radiator:

2F11A54A.gif

• Thanks 1

bacardincoke

Cheers... car doesn't have A/C, PAS nor a Cat, so looks like it was removed to make way for the twin fans, the oil filter is fitted straight into the front of the engine as in your second image but without any of the associated parts.

Just going by what I've read here and there, I'm not experienced in mechanics... seems to be divided opinion on whether or not the cooler makes much difference under normal driving and in a colder climate such as the UK.

Bottom line, will it potentially cause me any problems? 

petert

Most 8V XU9 and XU10 didn't have an oil cooler. You could run a filter direct to the block without any problems. However, if you wanted to retain the value and integrity in your car, you'd fit it all back to original.

• Thanks 1

bacardincoke

Thanks... it's probable then that it didn't have an oil cooler from new, though even that's not the case it's good to know things are fine as they are.

It's immaterial at the moment anyhow, I'm committed to the twin fan set up having recently got a new TD radiator. Not that hung up on originality either... if it's possible I try to do it, but not essential to me.