• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ATK

Any tips on sealing backbox?

ATK

Fitted a new Bosal backbox today. Have the correct two piece clamp and some holts firegum. 

Tried twice now and still have a slight escape of gas from the join, can just about feel it by putting fingertips on one part of the join. This is despite using a little paste in the clamp and around the join to help.

Any tips to get a good seal?

my car is phase 2 so olive style joint. 

DamirGTI

Personally , i'd weld the joint and be done with it .

New clamp (don't reuse old one) of the correct dia. , proper flange alignment and some exhaust paste on both sides prior to clamping together usually works .. 

If the pipe flange (on either side) is bent , crooked or otherwise surface damaged it'll be hard to seal the joint with just the clamp and exhaust paste . 

Or could be mismatch in the dia. of the main pipe flange and silencer flange ..

Might try with some copper sealant instead of exhaust paste .. and see what happens .

D

ATK

Whats the correct size clamp?69mm?

DamirGTI

Yes , OE is 69mm ...

Some aftermarket exhaust parts (mid sections , rear silencers ..) for the 205 with olive type joint comes in 66mm , so beware .

D

ATK

Its an aftermarket generic pipe and bosal backbox so should this be 66mm?

Kitch

This stuff.

Follow the instructions, don't rush to start the engine, however tempting.  It's brilliant stuff. Really is.

The only other exhaust paste worth any kind of recommendation is STP Bloseal, which was this blue/grey stuff that used to come in a cartridge. Was brilliant - I sealed open holes in silencers with this stuff, with no reinforcement whatsoever. Sadly, I don't think it's made anymore.

SweetBadger

I had loads of trouble getting an olive fit bosal backbox to seal - turned out to be the aftermarket clamp was the issue. It was bending / deforming and so not holding the joint tightly and doing the bolts up tighter just stretched the clamp further.

I bought an OE clamp from Peugeot, and problem was solved. The OE clamp was much better made, far sturdier than the aftermarket one.

I'd give a genuine clamp a try if they're still available.

Edited by SweetBadger

steve@cornwall

Try fitting the rear box with all of the exhaust hangers disconnected, I have found this gets a better seal as the joint can be dead straight