• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stewal

E10 fuel

stewal

I understand the E10 biofuel will be standard unleaded fuel in the UK next year.

Am I right in thinking this will not be suitable for xu engined cars of our age?

I believe the expensive premium unleaded will retain the current E5 to maintain its high octane rating but of course not all stations sell that.

I hear that E10 doesn't store well either so not great for lightly used motors either.

Tom Fenton

I’ll wait for others but as far as I know it should be ok. Aftermarket fuel pipe will struggle but the oe stuff is plastic lined. Certainly I’ve used 205’s on German fuel which I think has had more Ethanol in for some years.

welshpug

bog standard unleaded is E5 as well, not just super, like tom said, for the most cases our cars will be just fine, crank on a bit more ignition timing if anything!

theres about 800mm of rubber hose on a 205, the rest is painted steel or plastic lined.

petert

E10 destroys XU10 fuel rails in Australia. Good luck.

stef205
21 minutes ago, petert said:

E10 destroys XU10 fuel rails in Australia. Good luck.

question why on earth are you using e10 when you have e85 out there! :lol:

petert

We've had E10 for ages. Thus it's been our regular fuel that Joe Average puts in their car, because 98 is more expensive. E85 is next level. I'm currently converting my 205 to run on E85.  ie stainless steel fuel lines, anodized aluminium fuel rail, E85 compatible injectors etc.

Atlaskrukvaxt

Sorry for reviving this thread. Now that good ol 98octane is 2€/L where I live I have started putting 50/50 e10-98 in my xu10j2. 

Would some EW fuel rails and injectors fit the XU engine for purposes of avoiding ruining the fuel lines?

SRDT

Maybe on a J4 but not on a J2.

Edited by SRDT

Chöschi

Have been running e85 in my XM for a while now, without any issues really, had the check engine light on once during winter when it was -10°C and a cold start, and it takes a bit longer to start, but other than that, nothing really.