• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

PhilNW

Gravel Tyres

PhilNW

With this years MSA regs for road and targa rallies , whats the biggest gravel tyre (preferably E marked) you can fit under the arches using 15 wheels.

Whats the limiting factor?  diam or width?  205 cup cars used to use yoko A035 in 185/60/15 with a diam of about 600 mm

Currently using a 14 wheel with Maxiis R19, does the 15 in fit or is it too big. There are maxsport remoulds in 15 in with roughly 600 mm diam.

Has anyone found anything else ?

Edited by PhilNW

Tom Fenton

I use 185/60/15 A035's on my road rally car. They fit fine. But not e marked. I have a pair of cheap 185/65/15 second hand A035's to try at some point to see if they will go on. 14" wheels won't fit over my front brakes.

allanallen

The biggest I used were Silverstone s525 15/62, possibly had on a 17/65 at some stage too, firmest was fine, gearing was fecking awful! 

im not up to date on my e-marked Tyre’s as we never had to run them, a035s are my go to tyre. 

a friend has recently been raving about extreme vr3s, he may be on commission from them though! :P

https://www.extremetyresuk.com/project/extreme-vr3/

Mac Crash

Why are you using gravel tryes on the roads?

stronger, tougher tyre for sure but gotta be slowing you down...

Have plenty 2nd hand gravel/forest tyres of these if you're interested, not e-marked but wouldn't worry about the law side of things
because it doesn't actually stand up in court. "not for road use" should really just say "not entirely suitable"

Bfmsqrb.jpg?1

welshpug
14 hours ago, Mac Crash said:

road rally, some areas use pretty rough roads and sections called whites, which can be gravel and graded forest roads.

Tom Fenton
16 hours ago, Mac Crash said:

Because Derbyshire :D

• Haha 2

PhilNW

Had Yoko A021's on at one time and they stood up to Derbyshire pretty well. 

VR3 has a similar pattern 

allanallen
15 hours ago, PhilNW said:

Had Yoko A021's on at one time and they stood up to Derbyshire pretty well. 

VR3 has a similar pattern 

They’re a remould using r888/r1r carcass apparently, they’ll be stiff but won’t necessarily have the sidewall protection of a gravel tyre. 

re: gravel tyres on the road, well worn A035s are surprisingly good on the road and the puncture protection they offer is superb. 
I’ve only ever overheated them once, they were super softs on the rear on a particularly long tarmac section on roads I now very well on a warm night. Even then they didn’t try too hard to kill you, just a little bit. 

PhilNW

Had not realised that VR3's are a remould/retread

Tom Fenton
1 hour ago, allanallen said:

I’ve only ever overheated them once, they were super softs on the rear on a particularly long tarmac section on roads I now very well on a warm night. Even then they didn’t try too hard to kill you, just a little bit. 

Bakewell to Monyash. Remember it well.

• Like 1

PhilNW

As no rallying for me (and lots of others) this year I have not progressed this much further. 

Maxxis have sent me this link that gives tyres sizes for 15 in R19

https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-332-107-victra-r19

185/65R15 – diameter 24.6”

175/65R14 – diameter 23.1”

Has any tried the 15 inch maxxis ? Diameter is not much bigger that 14 inch

Myles

Used plenty of different makes - Dunlop Hankook Yokohama, all 185/60 15 - they all catch on the rear arches on landing or big compressions but no bother really and on full lock at the front on full lock - still not bothering me much.

But you can’t really fit anything taller without trouble and the narrow ones don’t offer much either, I can’t find anything other than the Maxxis that’s E marked for gravel or anything half decent on list A , it’s a right load of chollocks really!

So have gone for turbospeeds now - pre1990 spec- and used them on the Pennine in September, a couple of fastest times on the short tarmac tests and ok on the gravel / mud just keep your foot in! Hope to give them a better show on the Knutsford, in fact I’m hoping it’s wet as they should come into their own.26AE6B0A-416C-4A13-95BF-2AF8A58193B5.thumb.jpeg.947fbaf56f00d8539fbbda9fd73d8fb9.jpeg

E55F08DB-6647-424C-9E37-442B211370CC.jpeg

welshpug

I think 1.5 inches is not insignificant :lol:

185 55 15 should be 23" give or take a few thou.