• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Philpooma

Oil pump fitment issue

Philpooma

I have searched the forum and cannot find a solution to my issue, so am posting up for help.

I’m re-assembling my 1.6 Gti engine and came to fit the oil pump, which is in essence a very straightforward job.

However, rear bolt (flywheel end) is a location bolt with a chamfer on it, the location hole in the oil pump Is also chamfered.

However the replacement oil pump’s rear location bolt hole is not chamfered, so the bolt will not fit through the oil pump.

Is this an issue that other people have found before?

I understand that I could ream out the bolt home in the pump, but am reticent to do so in case I cause any issues and then invalidate the pump warranty.

Do I simply need to get an OEM pump?

Is there such a thing now?

welshpug

use the original pump, unlikely it it worn.

Peugeot oil pumps do not have a reputation for wearing out/failing.

Tom Fenton

I've fitted a Febi Bilstein pump, no issues with fitment.

Philpooma
On 1/27/2020 at 12:39 AM, welshpug said:

use the original pump, unlikely it it worn.

Peugeot oil pumps do not have a reputation for wearing out/failing.

I decided that since I was rebuilding the engine, it was good practice for me to renew the oil pump, you never know whats gone through ig over the years eh.

welshpug

I'm using a gti6 pump from an unknown engine in my 2.2 build, internals were perfect and I have a 6 bar cold idle oil pressure.  I've never heard of one failing.

Philpooma
On 1/27/2020 at 8:16 AM, Tom Fenton said:

I've fitted a Febi Bilstein pump, no issues with fitment.

The one I have was supplied by Auto pumps UK, as you will see from the image. The OEM pump has an conical mount hole at the rearmost position (timing belt end) with a conical bolt to suit. The new pump didnt, so the bolt would only fit halfway down the mount hole.

I turned the original bolt down last night and it fits OK now.

Just shouldnt have to do stuff like that to new parts.

You will also see on the image, that on the new pump one of the forward holes is elongated,  unfortunately its the wrong one as far as bolt fitment is concerned.

68FC23A7-21BF-4D0B-87FE-828F42548C71.jpeg

CD817C86-1DFF-4421-BDC9-AE9D70EB2DB0.jpeg

Philpooma
1 hour ago, welshpug said:

I'm using a gti6 pump from an unknown engine in my 2.2 build, internals were perfect and I have a 6 bar cold idle oil pressure.  I've never heard of one failing.

LOL, knowing my luck, there would be something wrong with the old pump and the engine would explode.

Better safe than sorry ;)

DamirGTI

OE pumps are really good/durable ... me too , never found one that was bad or had one failing on me , nor did people known to me who drive older PSA cars .

I'd always use old OE oil pump (just open it up and clean it) , instead new aftermarket .. there's some really low quality aftermarket oil pumps so , be careful what you buy and fit on the engine .

D

Philpooma
23 hours ago, DamirGTI said:

OE pumps are really good/durable ... me too , never found one that was bad or had one failing on me , nor did people known to me who drive older PSA cars .

I'd always use old OE oil pump (just open it up and clean it) , instead new aftermarket .. there's some really low quality aftermarket oil pumps so , be careful what you buy and fit on the engine .

D

Thanks for your comment Damir