• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
danj.pdx

1.6 Head gasket replacement - parts list

danj.pdx

Hi,

My '92 205 in the USA seems to just have blown the headgasket - white smoke and coolant smell. So, I'll remove the head, get a valve job and put it back together.

Since I'm in the US and parts aren't available, I'd like to order all the parts most likely needed in advance. I know there's always some likelihood of other things I'll discover while in there. That said, could someone review this list and lmk if there are any obvious gaps? So far I'm planning to order these items below from Pug1Off.

Are there other 'while you're in there' or necessary things I'll need?

As always, thank you so much in advance.

Tom Fenton

I’d suggest you contact pug1off explain what you are doing and ask them to suggest a parts list.

jackherer

I think you can probably get most of it in the USA as 405 SRi parts actually.

danj.pdx

Thanks for the replies.

I did ask Pug1off  and they mentioned I may need valve guides, which makes sense. Since they are not inexpensive and I don't yet know if they'll be needed, we'll leave them off the list until I get the head off and evaluate. The valve stem seals are included in the gasket kit. 

For the 405 - I didn't know the US versions shared this motor. I have only seen the Mi-16 variations here, in fact there's one that lives not to far from me. It's slightly tempting to do a conversion, but I'd rather keep this one original.

I'd also thought about installing a slightly hotter cam, but don't want to change springs, ECU or anything else so it's probably not worth the effort. And the current cam lobes look perfectly fine.

Thank you for all the input.

jackherer
2 hours ago, danj.pdx said:

For the 405 - I didn't know the US versions shared this motor. I have only seen the Mi-16 variations here

They sold the 8v 1.9 405 too. It's very similar to the 205 GTI engine but not 100% identical, the inlet ports and inlet manifold are the most obvious difference. I'm pretty sure you can use the cambelt, water pump, head bolts and head gasket though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peugeot_405#North_America

I thought it was the SRi but apparently you got models called 'S' and 'DL' which were both 8v XU9s.

Thijs_Rallye

Valve guides from the 8v 405 are identical to the 205 GTi ones.

Btw, are you sure the white smoke is coming out the exhaust? The expansion tanks tend to crack and drip/spray on the exhaust manifold. Cracked hose might cause similar smoke effects.

Since shipping will likely be steep it might be worth while to order a spare heater matrix as well. They're not horrendously expensive, not heavy and eventually needed sometime anyway.

Edit: order a downpipe gasket as well. (those braided conical ones)

Edited by Thijs_Rallye

welshpug

I would get it off to an engineer before buying anything, I don't think 8v guides wear that badly, look up K-line inserts, readily available around the world.