• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

andy0075

rpm limit with MI16 crank

andy0075

Hello,

i have a MI16 race engine with steel liners (Westwood), steel conrods, solid lifter,....

The only original thing left in the engine is the MI16 crank.

Question : what is the rpm limit with this crank?

Actually my limiter is set to 8300rpm

Andi

JeffR

I ran my old 1.9 Mi to 8300 rpm. Std crank, shot peened rods, ARP bolts and solid lifters for nearly 10 years.

All internals were balanced though.

mrmut

xu10j4r-rfy Mi 16 to 8500 rpm. Std crank, std rods ,  std light flywheel , std bolts and solid lifters home made, valve sprig 

opticaltrigger
On 1/9/2020 at 4:33 PM, andy0075 said:

Question : what is the rpm limit with this crank?

Hi Andreas.

The crank's not really the issue here.

When balanced properly, the crankshaft itself as an independent component should effectively spin on it's own axis without any imbalance present whatsoever. That is,,, up to the limitations of the balancing machines maximum speed and sensitivity. Therefore, it's rpm limit is only limited by it's own structural integrity. And that's extremely high indeed. 

The problem comes when you start to hang heavy rods and pistons on it. The rpm limit is much more relative to your conrods, there length, and in particular the bolts in them, than it is to your crankshaft. If you wanted to you could work out the momentary weight of your piston / rod assembly at TDC, at 8500 rpm, It's horrific.......

In Drag racing, where possible we like an aluminium rod..... It's allot less mass but it's reliable service life is very low.

All the best,

O.T.

andy0075

Hi,

thanks for the answers.

@opticaltrigger

I have 85mm Wössner pistons and steel rods with ARP2000 bolts (~1997ccm), KingRacing bearings,

billet steel lightweight flywheel,....

Andi

Edited by andy0075