• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Callum

Replacment ignition barrel

Callum

Seen ignition barrel kits on ebay are they good quality? If I can repair my current one I'm going to have to get a replacment. I've searched for neiman but only seen adverts from foreign sellers 

jackherer

They seem to work OK in normal circumstances but I had one burn out due to a sticky starter motor solenoid and I've never had an original one burn out like that no matter what load has been put through it.

Callum

Does the barrel separate from the loom as an aftermarket immobiliser has been spliced into the loom off the barrel and would make things so much easier for me if I could just replace the barrel instead of re wiring in a new loom 

jackherer

Yes, the loom with switch can be separated from the barrel.

But the aftermarket ones are annoyingly different to the OEM ones so they don't interchange. One has a Y shaped mechanical interface between the barrel and switch while the other is X shaped IIRC.

Callum

Okay so I would need to get a second hand heiman barrel and then I would be able to just change the barrel, do you have any idea which one has which interface? Thanks 

jackherer

Original (Nieman, Valeo) barrels and switches are a Y shape and aftermarket pattern parts are an X shape.

They describe it in this ebay listing for an aftermarket switch and show the X shape in the photo.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362742706872

Callum

Okay thank you is it possible to disconect the barrel and loom on the original barrel? 

jackherer

Yes, it's just two long screws holding them together.

Callum

Thanks for your help I have separated them now just need to find a replacement barrel with an y interface as don't think mine can be repaired 

Callum

I've googled neiman Peugeot 205 ignition and it's come up with some from France has anyone bought one?