• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Gaz7612

Xu10 flywheel on EW12 engine

Gaz7612

Hi everyone,

Can I fit my TTV lightweight flywheel from my XU10J4RS to an EW12J4 engine? 

Im also looking to fit a 206 gti BE4 gearbox. 

Can anyone shed shed any light on any problems I might have?

Many thanks 

Gary

Andy

Well. The flywheel will fit onto the crankshaft. I have an EW12 crank in an Xu10 block with an Mi16 flywheel. Whether the flywheel will clear the engine casing is probably more at the centre of your question. About that I know nothing .

SRDT

By using a XU flywheel with a BE4 gearbox you will shift the TDC reference signal by 18.5°, not a problem if you're not using the stock ECU anymore.

Gaz7612
11 hours ago, SRDT said:

By using a XU flywheel with a BE4 gearbox you will shift the TDC reference signal by 18.5°, not a problem if you're not using the stock ECU anymore.

Thanks for that. Just what I was looking for. 

do you know the new reference point required at all please? 

Gaz7612
12 hours ago, Andy said:

Well. The flywheel will fit onto the crankshaft. I have an EW12 crank in an Xu10 block with an Mi16 flywheel. Whether the flywheel will clear the engine casing is probably more at the centre of your question. About that I know nothing .

Andy that sounds like in interesting set up you have there. 

I guess the only way to know for sure is to try it 

Andy

Reference point on the XU9/10 with a be1/3 box for the crank is 114 degrees. If the BE4 box moves the reference point by 18.5 degrees, the new point will be 114 plus or minus 18.5 degrees depending upon whether the BE4 box crank sensor location has rotated clockwise or anti-clockwise relative to the be3 box ( viewed from the flywheel end ) 

As for my engine. Yep. 96mm stroke on an 87mm bore with the S16 head ( with valve and cam changes ) is the basic architecture . If I do another one I will use the dw12 crank as the main bearing size is exactly the same as the XU9/10 engine: the EW12 crank has a very slightly smaller main bearing journal , meaning that one has to grind to the first underside to get the correct running clearance . However, you are using a ‘pure’ EW12 engine so do not have to worry about all the above nonsense 

SRDT

My bad it's not 18.5° but 30°-18.5°=11.5°

The XU is slanted at a 30° angle but it's only 18.5° for the EW. On the gearbox Peugeot just rotated the bellhousing bolt pattern and kept the hall sensor in the same spot.

Andy

Hi. If GAZ is using an XU9/10j4 flywheel, the missing tooth is 12 teeth ahead of the tdc point , giving 72degrees before tdc, so I think the total offset will be this 72degrees plus the angular distance between the sensor and tdc.