• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Darren

205 base ?

Darren

Hi all I'm new here and recently purchased a 91 1.9 gti in sorrento green which I plan to restore to it former glory 

While checking through paper work I noticed it say peugeot 205 base on the log book?

Should it state 205 gti ? 

Vin all relates to other 1.9 gti,s of my year (VF320CD62245*****) 

Does anybody's log book on here say 205 base or does it say gti ?

Any help much appreciated 

Thanks in advance Darren

Edited by Darren

jackherer

I think 205 Base was a special edition, certainly not a GTI.

E.G. https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie59/12191646215

What do the rear wheel arches look like under the GTI bodykit? That's probably the most obvious difference between a GTI and non-GTI shell.

Does the VIN on the riveted-on plate match the VIN stamped on the scuttle panel?

Darren

Thank for reply I'll check wheel arches tonight and vin stamp and vin plate have the same code 

I wasnt sure if it may be an error by the dvla 

Also has green carpet and door card trim and full black leather 

Edited by Darren

jackherer

It definitely sounds like a mistake has been made somewhere, possibly by the dealer when it was new? if the VINs on the shell match and are the same as the one on the V5 it's definitely a 1.9 GTI but I don't know how you'd get it resolved, or if you even could.

Have you tried entering the VIN into http://205gti.info/vin/vin.htm and/or http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ ?

Is the engine size correct on the V5? I.e. 1905cc.

Also does it say 'declared new at first registration' on the front page under 'Special Notes" or is there anything else in that section? My friend has an '89 1.9 GTI that says it was imported as a new car and the V5 for that has a couple of tiny mistakes, it says 'saloon' rather than '3 door hatchback' and '1900cc' rather than '1905cc'.

Presumably you have it insured as a 1.9 GTI? There might be an issue there if that isn't what it is registered as.

Darren

Thanks again for this info it does say 1905 on log book but not sure about the rest I'll have to check when I get home and also the arches and its is insured as 1.9 gti but they did question the base part but I wasn't sure and said it defo a gti

Just entered vin on service box link you send and it came up with this but I don't read French 

Screenshot_20191105-144005_Samsung Internet.jpg

jackherer

'205 a partir mod 1991' just means it's a post 1991 model, i.e. a phase 2.

On the left there should be a link titled 'Characteristics' that should give you a bit more info. Don't be surprised if several sections are empty, there is only limited info for older cars like 205s.

• Like 1

Darren

Just tried to get photo of rear arches but it's a bit tight

I will get a better look at weekend as its going for new tyres and track rod ends and I just looked back on that site and it came up with this20191105_162526.thumb.jpg.b0ddee4ccc2f5f6a3318dad7295205c9.jpg

Screenshot_20191105-163929_Samsung Internet.jpg

Darren

And thanks again for your info and advice jack I to live in Ipswich so I may see you about if you do the east coast reto meeting 

jackherer

Those arches look original and the data on servicebox is identical to my car so it's definitely a GTI.

I do try to get to the East Coast Retro meets so I'll see you there, I'm in a silver GTI with a roll cage and carbon fibre bonnet.

• Like 1

Darren

Everything about the car points to gti I even have original warranty/service book stamped and dated from new and it says 205 1.9 gti ,but base on log book for some reason 

perhaps a call to the dvla is needed to sort it out ?

Screenshot_20191105-174406_Gallery.jpg

jackherer

It looks like someone has hand written the word 'Export' on there!

Is there anything under 'Special notes' on the bottom of the front page of the V5?

Good luck with the DVLA, people seem to get very mixed results with this sort of thing. If it doesn't go well try again a day or two later and you might get a totally different answer from someone else.

• Like 1

Darren

I'm still waiting for the full v5 all I have is green slip at mo 

So will be interesting to see what it say on the 'special notes' part 

I will keep you all informed 

Thanks again and it looks like a gti goes like a gti and handles like a gti 

Happy days

• Like 1

speno

Did you say full black leather ? Gentry out of the question? 

welshpug

xu9j1 is a low comp cat engine as found in the auto iirc, the d62 in the vin i think suggests so too

jackherer

Servicebox says XU9J1/A for my 205 too so I think the '1/' is irrelevant.

Also my VIN is VF320CD62********

I'm pretty sure that is all correct for a 1.9 GTI.

B1ack_Mi16

My Sorrento green full leather which I believe is basicly called a Gentry had the XU9J1 engine, 105 bhp 1.9 with manual gearbox.

I suppose it is this type of car...

Telf

Darren, 

Are you in Suffolk? I think my neighbour might have mentioned he had a mate who's just bought a GTI. I'm over in Kesgrave. Can always have a look at it if you like.

• Like 1

jackherer
4 hours ago, Telf said:

Darren, 

Are you in Suffolk? I think my neighbour might have mentioned he had a mate who's just bought a GTI. I'm over in Kesgrave. Can always have a look at it if you like. 

On 11/5/2019 at 4:48 PM, Darren said:

And thanks again for your info and advice jack I to live in Ipswich so I may see you about if you do the east coast reto meeting 

:)

jackherer

This is the ServiceBox entry for my 205 GTI 1.9:

1517259355_Screenshot2019-11-07at11_11_01.png.8f5721a22ad29c95451475d60311fa2b.png

Like I said before it also says "XU9J1/A".

It is 100% a GTI.

jackherer

And this is what 205GTI.info says about the same VIN:

779777813_Screenshot2019-11-07at11_13_55.png.e806f237431a824446ffe5f65e360df8.png

jackherer

It would be interesting to hear @griffo's thoughts on this, he is the person behind 205GTI.info and as far as I'm concerned has done more research into 205 GTI VINs than anyone else.

jackherer

I've just tried entering several other 205 GTI 1.9 VINs (p1.5 and p2) into servicebox and they ALL say XU9J1/A for the engine type.

Darren

Sorry for slow reply looked for an engine number earlier and all I can see is this,no riveted tag or I cant find it yet it say D6B engraved on block where it meets the head 

And yes Telf I'm rushmere so not to far 

20191107_150339.thumb.jpg.ae63d85fce8fba40de0d90df877e8c94.jpg

Edited by Darren
Mistake in description

Darren

The paint code on the front panel is MORM so I think colour of ar and carpets is right 

It also has another code above vin could anyone tell me what this means please 

20191107_180658.jpg