• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest justin85

What Audio Setup For My 205?

Guest justin85

I have a 92 1.9 GTi, and I want a better sounding system.

Currently running a Pioneer DEH4430R head unit with some Kenwood coaxials in the front doors and some Jensen 6x9's in the parcel shelf.

It all sounds a little bit lightweight at the moment, and I am wondering what I can do to make it all sound a little more "Hi Fi".

I assume that an Amp would be a good starting point. Any reccomendations?

And would I notice a big difference swapping the 6x9's for something better? What about a pair of 17cm's instead?

Are components worth it up front? Where do you site the tweeters in a 205?

Cheers for your help.

Justin.

Guest dean0

I reckon just get an amp and sub and ditch the 6*9s. I know a couple of people with subs in their cars and that coupled with a decent set of speakers in the standard speaker mountings usually sounds good and doesn't mean big alterations to the interior. As for types/sizes etc I've no idea :) I'll leave that to the experts on here.

fiji bob

standard speaker size up front is 5.25" but you can easily (aparently, i havent done it myself) open the holes up to take 6.5" and still use the standard grills, imo i would ditch the 6x9`s buy a 4 channel amp and some 6.5" components and fit the tweeters to the plastic trim where the side mirror handles are and add a sub later

C_W

My setup is a Kenwood Z838W headunit, Kenwood 6x9s in the front doors and Kenwood HQ6X9s on a rear acoustic shelf. Sounds sooo much better than how it did before with Sony 5.25" speakers in the front and Kenwood x9 on the shelf.

Guest justin85

How did you fit the 6x9s in the front doors mate? Custom pods?

Justin.

C_W

Custom "holes" in the doors then fitted with a bit of persuasion.

Guest rodneyp

Get some decent componants in the front and a decent sub in the rear and take some time mounting them all. i built custom pods in the front just so the componants were completely sealed, but the sound response is amazing! go for sealed sub enclosure aswell. speakers in the rear arent very important so ditch the 6x9s. also places to mount the tweeters, most tweeters come with various mounting systems and aparentely the best place is ontop of the dash facing up (towards the windscreen). One of my mates has actually mounted the tweeters in the front air vents at either side! creative and stealth and doesnt sound too bad either! hope this helps. ed

Guest justin85

Cheers guys.

Definately given me some food for thought.

I can feel the credit card quaking in it's boots!

Justin.

fiji bob

the best mounting position is mainly down to personal taste but for sound quality putting the mids and tweets in the kickwells angled up is supposed to be one of the best places

Guest flat-eric

Dude the pug's a we car and u dont realy need 6x9's, but i use them for top end sound "treble" i have had all sort's of systems b 4 and at the minute this seems the best, infinity kappa components up front "standard size" tweeters on dash or door pod's either is good! kicker 6x9's this part of the system is run off the head unit with minimal bass but hi treble "clearer and louder" then the hard work is done by the 12" sub in boot "800w" running off a digital 600w alpine amp. not too low jst rite i think it aint how much it cost's more wot u do with it. u need any help jst ask. bin fitting for 4 years now.

tom_m

i'm running kenwood 6.5in components up front, with the tweeters mounted on the interior panel of the wing mirrors right in the corner, and they sound damn fine! i've got kenwood 7x10s on an acoustic shelf... they aren't really being used to their full potential cos i have the high pass filter on on the amp running em, but they too sound excelent. and for bass i have two kenwood 12s :angry:

overkill...

maybe...

do i care... NO! :D

Guest CB-Dave

Mine's in me sig - the only problem I've got with it is the sub box is like having a body in the boot...

I can however, since fitting the new amp - open it up to maximum volume on the headunit and it stays crisp all the way through - Jackson amps are absolutely bloody amazing!!

The real star is the headunit tho, but all I use is the front speakers and the subs - the rears are switchable for when I take passengers (the odd times! lol)

Guest CB-Dave

Oh, and answering the tweeters question - I'm going to bond mine behind the side mirrors, they *just* fit, but sticky pads are useless!!!

That way you don't have to faff around with wiring - simply run a decent quality cable from the amp into the door, and keep all the crossover wiring in the door (with the crossover mounted on the card) - sorted!

Deadliest Pug

This is the set up in my 405

Alpine fronts, 3 ways, Blaupunkt head unit, JBL 6" rears components, just the midrahge though, Phoenix gold amp, JL Audio Sub.

You go to a concert and face the band so the qquality and most of the spund needs to come from the front, aprt from that let your ears decide.

Dave!

fiji bob

dave are you using mounts for the tweeters? i just screwed the mount to the plastic trim and fitted the tweeters bit more solidly mounted than sticking them

Guest Theo205

i would recommend a setup simillar to mine as i've had a lot of different combinations and decided that this one sounds really good in a 205 and not very expensive.

That would be:

5.25 components on front doors (standard size with passive crossover'n tweeters powered from the headunit...)

4 channel amp with crossover function for powering 7x10 (can also use 6x9 since this set is not playin anything less than 60hz) on rear shelf playing @ 60Hz+ and same amp powers 10" sub playing anything less than 60hz

jacobs53

whats wrong with the peugeot standard set-up? I find it good when listening to saga FM.

:angry:

lee

Guest yoda

Ive got 5inch kicker speakers in the front, 6X9 kickers in the shelf run from my kenwood 3 channel amp and a 12 inch pioneer punch sub run from a smaller amp. This way i can use fade and the bass control on my head unit to make it fooking louder (if i want). It sounds pretty good but not as nice as my mates BMW with a competition winning rockford setup which consists of 2 15inch subs. Ive never seen magnets so big. :angry:

Ed

Guest CB-Dave

bob - I've got tweeter mounts yeah, I could screw them in but I don't want to leave a hole in the plastic lol!

I'll be attacking them later on so I'll see which will be the easiest option; JB Weld or a self tapper!

fiji bob

tbh i wouldnt worry about damaging them they seem to be almost impossible to take off without snapping one of the prongs that hold them in place id just get a spare pair from the scrappies or something

C_W
You go to a concert and face the band so the qquality and most of the spund needs to come from the front, aprt from that let your ears decide.

Dave!

But isn't the fact that you face the band a compromise mainly because there a lots of people there and they are playing for you so you face them to watch them and also as not to be ignorant?, and you could perhaps say a full surround sound gives a more immersive experience when you're in the centre of it (ie you're up on the stage with them). Possibly.

Ahl

You wouldn't go to a concert and face away from a band or play music with the speakers behind you would you? Your ears aren't angled that way.

Your right about being in the middle of things CW, but its different with two sets of speakers playing the same sound - they cancel out parts of each others signal and can sound odd.

Edited by Ahl

fiji bob

theres no right or wrong way if you like having front and rear speakers its right for you

Sign in to follow this