• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DSYKES5500

Crumbled pipe identification and gaskets.

DSYKES5500

Hi all,

I've been working on the 205 this afternoon. I found the source of a water leak which was from the thermostat housing. The bottom bolt had been snapped off and silicone had been slapped about in the hope it would contain the water :(

Anyway, after stripping it all down today to get the housing off the side of the block to get proper access to the snapped bolt I noticed a small diameter pipe which crumbled into pieces when I picked it up. Looking around the engine I can only assume it went from the bottom back of the throttle body all the way to the back of the distributor to the vacuum housing. Could anyone please confirm this? I've attached a picture, is it the pipe listed as number 3?

On the side of the housing between the block I was expecting a gasket but there wasn't one. I checked and it says End 01/12/1990, number 10 on the second picture. Mine's a 1992, what should I use instead of a gasket?

I was also quite surprised at how clean the inside of the rocker cover and inside the engine was, see pics, is this usual for a 27 year old 100,000 mile car??

I've ordered a new rocker cover gasket this afternoon too. 

Thanks, 

Dan

20190814_182206.jpg

Screenshot_20190814-183753_Microsoft Remote Desktop.jpg

20190814_154121.jpg

20190814_184226.jpg

jackherer

Yes that's the vacuum advance hose, you can use generic vacuum hose to replace it.

A clean engine is normal if it has had very regular oil changes, or if it's been rebuilt relatively recently.

Tom Fenton

You could retrofit a gasket or alternatively use rtv silicone with no gasket.

DSYKES5500

Thanks for the replies. I fitted a new vacuum hose today but when I tested by blowing down the pipe, I could hear air escaping into the unit, sucking didn't make the unit compress inside. I found an old thread on here where Tom had answered an identical problem... a new vacuum advance unit has now been ordered! :)

DSYKES5500

Snapped bolt removed and the thermostat housing is now cleaned up, new thermostat installed and ready to put back together. The small pipe with the tap on was totally blocked up :(

20190814_155513.jpg

20190807_205812.jpg

DSYKES5500

Cleaned!

20190819_124044.jpg

20190819_124057.jpg