• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Sorentogti

1.9 gti wont start! Help!

Sorentogti

Rite so the injectors have been sent to mrinjectorti hopefully work his magic so eagerly awaiting getting them back and putting them in and hoping for a bit of life in the old girl! Then to piese it back together!

Sorentogti

Hi all, so sorry gor late reply, i got the injectors back from mrinjector and was super excited to whap them back in which i did...cracked it over and had a few splutters and she fired into action...briefly...I damaged a lead by pulling it off the plug and the metal thingy stayed on the plug so thought it may have been just a new set of leads needs.

I continued to crank over and rev a bit and it ran for about 10 seconds at best ruff as f#$@! So iv ordered a set of leads.

Now then this is where i became scared...im 90% sure when i pulled the injectors out they were stiff as s$@#! And required a bit of whiggling back and forth from a 17mm spanner but they came.

I had briefly fone a search for the correct way to remove them and had seen of a few horror storys about these pesky little pintke caps. Hur so not knowing quite what they were i removed all the injectors and whats got me thinking about them as i removed the washer and rubber o rings off them and never noticed the pintle caps, which leads me to belive they have fallen off as when i recieved them back from mrinjector they had fresh pintle caps on and i cant for the life of me remembering taking them off and why i would as i took the rubber o rings off when i sent them i would of had to remove the pintle caps to get the o rings off and i honestly cant remebering them being on hench when they came back i though humm what are they on the end im sure they wasnt there when i pulled them out.

Sorry for the long winded explanation but in my excitement to get them in and get it going iv done a bit more diggin and found out that they do tend to fall off if your unlucky, so i pulled the fresh injectors back out and have pulled the inlet off and had a good look around and feel about the valves but no sign of any pintle caps.

I have heard that they can end up falling into the piston tops and are a real pain to get out.

Iv had some sticky tape on the end of a screwdriver and taken the plugs out and have had a fish about to no avail.

Im currently got myself thinking if ever they were on and if so have the fallen into the engine and what would be the potential damage if any? Iv heard some say they will be just blown out the exhaust others say they can get stuck in the valve or down the sidenof the piston? Im scared the ruff running may of also been a result of these pesky little pintle caps!

Any info or help would be welcomed

Thabks in advance! Currently crying inside and hoping for some miricle cure for this!

jackherer

They always put new ones on injector when they recondition them, it doesn't mean they were missing.

And I'm pretty sure you can remove the O rings without taking the caps off too, they stretch over them.

Sorentogti

Cheers mate, i also removed the washers as wrll and im certain you cant get them over the caps!

Ill be fitting a new gasket along with new keads so will be saying a lottle prayer it fires up and runs fine.

I noticed there was a rather dramatic exhaust leak under the footwell, i had a quick look underneath the car and the exhaust has a sleave where it seems to be leaking from so sounded quit tankish.

Would this cause it to run ruff?

Many thanks Matt 

Atreides

If you're still having a problem getting it started, try this...

Until a few weeks ago, my car had sat for 6 years. On a drive out a couple of weeks ago, it just cut out at a junction, and just would not start. I started hunting down all the usual suspects like tachy relay, ignition amp, plugs, leads, fuel pressure etc....nothing worked. Turned over, but just would not fire.

It turned out to be the AFM. The flap had jammed open, due to a bit of internal corrosion in the 'air corridor'. A quick jap with a screwdriver and some carb cleaner, and the car fired up on the first turn of the key!

I think the airflow meters on these cars are all pretty much getting to the age where stuff like that is a likelihood now. 

Fingers crossed for you :)