• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

8v oil pressure fault

Anthony
3 minutes ago, Telf said:

Anthony, both lights came on every time I pressed the clutch for the mile it took me to get home. After a few minutes on the drive I started the car again and they had cleared

But as said, how low was the idle speed dipping?  If it was chugging away at 400rpm with hot oil then the oil pressure light is probably to be expected, whereas if it was at normal idle speed (say 900-1000rpm) then there's clearly a problem somewhere.

The low oil pressure light comes on around 0.5 bar (7 psi).

Telf

well it normally drops straight to 1000rpm- the emerald is mapped to that and having watched its behaviour it is pretty rock solid in that respect.

I don't see how it can have dropped to 7 psi - having driven round today and left it for almost an hour idling the pressure remained at 16 to 17 psi. im perplexed

Telf

I've been recommended several oils to try Miller's,Opie,Fuch.

What would be best to help with this issue?

jackherer

Opie is an expensive internet oil shop, not a brand of oil.

• Haha 1

Leslie green

Try some oil see how you go as said .

Telf

Well Mobil 1 S2000 is what I'm going to try...

welshpug

thats £18 for 5l at carparts4less at the moment.

though tbh, I'd be getting anything decent branded from my local factors, mine does Total, I use quartz7000 10w40 usually, my freshly built engine gives 6 bar at cold idle!   (I say freshly, its been a year and a half, but only a few k miles)

Edited by welshpug

jackherer
29 minutes ago, welshpug said:

Total, I use quartz7000 10w40

Same here, until recently that's what a Peugeot dealer would have sold you for a 205 GTI.

Telf

Ok so after a good drive round we have 20psi and same dash temps as yesterday for oil temp/water

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1564237025131.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1564237050735.jpeg

Telf

I did ask for specific suggestions earlier!

Telf
1 hour ago, welshpug said:

gives 6 bar at cold idle

Welsh mine was showing 85 earlier before i changed the oil so about 5.6  bar (guage error etc permitting)

jackherer
34 minutes ago, Telf said:

I did ask for specific suggestions earlier!

I told you I use Total in a text the other day :lol:

Telf
22 minutes ago, jackherer said:

I told you I use Total in a text the other day :lol: 

and exactly when do I remember anything for more than 5 minutes?

anyway mobil is a big company im sure its better than ECP oil

• Like 1

Leslie green

No real change then 17 to 20 psi warm 

Telf
11 hours ago, Leslie green said:

No real change then 17 to 20 psi warm 

Well I don't know it was stable at 20/21 psi. If that's the figure it should be then I guess it's ok. Reading about idle hot oil pressure in general the figure quoted most often is 20psi

welshpug
On 7/26/2019 at 10:17 AM, Anthony said:

The low oil pressure light comes on around 0.5 bar (7 psi).

always thought it was 1 bar (14.5psi)

Anthony
2 hours ago, welshpug said:

always thought it was 1 bar (14.5psi)

Nope, not as far as I'm aware - certainly the aftermarket/pattern replacement oil pressure switches are rated at 0.5 bar, e.g:

brand-new-oil-pressure-switch-sensor-peu

Admittedly that's the slightly later design switch used on the XU7/XU10 8v engines, but the earlier single spade type from XU5/XU9 engines is the same rating.

welshpug

fair enough :D  makes 20 psi sound not so bad then!

Telf

Mei I dunno if it's good, I'm going off what I've read online and the advice given here

wicked
19 hours ago, Anthony said:

Nope, not as far as I'm aware - certainly the aftermarket/pattern replacement oil pressure switches are rated at 0.5 bar, e.g:

19 hours ago, Anthony said:

Admittedly that's the slightly later design switch used on the XU7/XU10 8v engines, but the earlier single spade type from XU5/XU9 engines is the same rating.

Is there a alternative available with same fitment that switches a at a higher pressure? Between 1-2 bar ballpark? Did search for it, but could not find one. 

Anthony
8 hours ago, wicked said:

Is there a alternative available with same fitment that switches a at a higher pressure? Between 1-2 bar ballpark? Did search for it, but could not find one. 

There are some - the challenge is trying to find any that are the correct fitment and which work the correct way (VAG have loads around 1.5-2.5 bar for example, but they work back to front in that they're open circuit at low pressure).

Here's a few possibilities though if you're happy to change the wiring plug on the loom:

https://catalogo.facet.eu/EN/Home/Product/7.0153 - 0.9 bar and correct wrong M14x1.5 thread.

https://catalogo.facet.eu/EN/Home/Product/7.0176 - 1.5 bar but wrong thread (M10x1)

https://catalogo.facet.eu/EN/Home/Product/7.0163 - 2 bar but wrong thread (M10x1)

Probably shouldn't be too hard to find a M14x1.5 M to M10x1 F adaptor - worse case, you can easily/cheaply get M14x1.5 M to 1/8 NPT adaptors and run an M10x1 tap down it.

Otherwise, I know that Petert has in the past mentioned about an adjustable switch - might be worth searching some of this posts to see if you can find any more details.

Edited by Anthony
'Cause I'm a pillock

wicked

According to the facet catalog and picture above, it should have M16x1.5, not M14? 

Nice catalog btw... 

Anthony
5 minutes ago, wicked said:

According to the facet catalog and picture above, it should have M16x1.5, not M14? 

You're quite correct - I shouldn't post in the morning before I've had any caffeine...  wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't posted a switch with the correct thread just a few posts up! :blush: