• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Icarus205

Wanting 205 buying advice

Icarus205

Hello,

Been looking at this forum for a while now and noticed people giving advice to people (like me) looking to buy a 205 GTI. 

I've been looking to buy a 205 for about two years now and been to view quite a few but none have felt right. 

I want a standard 1.6 preferably in Miami blue, the market seems unpredictable at best. 

This car below on pistonheads seems to tick all my boxes other than the non 1.6 seats which isn't a big deal. I obviously don't know all the in and outs with details of these cars yet. Is this one a good example worth the money? Or it is a rip off?  I would be very grateful for any advice. Thanks. 

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/peugeot/205/peugeot-205-gti-1-6-----------------1992/9558976#&gid=1&pid=4

Tom Fenton

Absolutely no way to say if it’s good bad or ugly without going to look at it buddy. If you are unsure, take someone with you that knows what they are looking for. It looks ok in the photos, but past that what can anyone say? I would say you are paying a premium as it’s relatively low miles for its age. As a comparison a guy I know recently sold his Miami 1.6 (with the correct seats) but not as tidy as that one appears, for £3500 i believe. 

Anthony

As Tom says, you really need to go and inspect the car in person - there's plenty of cars that look great in pictures that are distinctly second rate when you see them in the metal and start looking.

It looks straight enough at a glance, but I do find the "The milage (sic) will go up steadily as this is no garage queen and is used regularly" comment in the advert a bit curious - looking at the MOT history the car has done less than 4000 miles in 13 years and has spent long periods stood up unused, although of course that could be with previous owner(s).  The MOT expired last month too, so I wonder if that advert is quite old as clearly the car won't (or certainly shouldn't!) have been getting used regularly for the last few weeks.

• Haha 1

speno

Yes I checked the history too . Just sold mine for 3500 . It was mechanically very good and you could jump in it to drive to Cornwall with no problem.  A lot of these cars are not used or state new Cambelt e

10k miles ago.  Reality that was over 10 years ago . 

Go and look . Oh correct seats for these are fetching 500 plus in good nick on ebay when they appear

MrAndy

Those seats are ph1.5 1.9 seats and in quite good condition. If you buy this car, I believe you get them sold easily with good money.

-A-

speno
7 minutes ago, MrAndy said:

Those seats are ph1.5 1.9 seats and in quite good condition. If you buy this car, I believe you get them sold easily with good money.

-A-

There is that but It's quite hard to pick up the cloth seats tho in good condition . I searched for quite a while 

Edited by speno

Icarus205

Perfect, thanks for the input, it is really appreciated. I think your right and it might just be a waiting game with the seats. There is no rush as I intend to keep the car I buy indefinitely, just want a good example. I think if I can arrange a viewing I'll take a mechanic with me who is clued up as I know only know very basics. Again thank-you all for advice.