• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Henry 1.9GTi

Base Model crosstube on 1.9GTi

Henry 1.9GTi

Hi all

I am about to swap all of my go faster bits onto a new crosstube (mine is bent) from IM axle. I will be replacing the bearings and bushes (solid) on the new crosstube for peace of mind so I know whats gone in there.

The tube looks fine but I'm wondering why the GTi has a larger diameter crosstube. Peugeot must have done it for a reason as it surely costs them more to have different parts. As the tube is going on a track/race car I'm concerned it may be less stiff than a GTi tube.

I know from searching the forum that using a base model crosstube is fine in terms of fitment. i.e. it will fit. But can't find much info on base vs GTi crosstube size and why it's different. Any info much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Henry.

welshpug

no doubt there will be a difference in the stiffness however exactly how much I doubt anyone knows, with it solidly mounted I doubt there will be much difference

jord294

Personally I think it's a safety issue. 309 tube has same diameter flare. Rigidity in case of rear end collision. Added precaution of the strap fitted to 205.

Got a few tubes here if you want GTI specific 

Thijs_Rallye

The tube is designed to flex under load, whilst keeping the contact patch on the tire within check. I have a base model tube under my 205 and so far I've noticed that if you are engaged in a high g corner and you push the brakes firmly you will lose the rear abrubtly. The axle enters a sort of a constant flexing mode which is hard to describe. I've noticed it most on Zolder, braking for the second chicane (Terlaemen after Butte https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_Zolder#/media/Bestand:Zolder.svg). Because I was exiting a high speed corner there the car entered a sort of slinging motion in the back, hard to keep control and needing steering correction of (est.) 10/15 degrees (2.4 rack) to either side to keep the car in line. After changing to a 1.9 tube all problems were gone. Bearings / spindels everything was new on both.

And yes, I am fully aware the rear of the 205 GTis are notorious but after 15 years of owning and driving several of them I know the difference between the normal snap off over steer and this evil b*tch of a cousin :P.

I you can get a decent GTi tube go for that one. I'll be changing mine soon as well.

Edited by Thijs_Rallye
typo
  • Like 1

Henry 1.9GTi

yes I think given Peugeot just wouldn't do it for no reason, even if that reason isn't directly related to handling (not challenging you at all as it could well be handling related) I will try and get a GTi tube.

so anyone want a base model tube with bearings and end collars? Iv'e even made a start on hacksawing the rubber bushes out for you ;)

Mac Crash

You say the original tube was bent, how'd you manage that?

Henry 1.9GTi

yes, along with the trailing arm shaft, trailing arm, stub axle, chassis rail where the rearwards beam mount sits. wheel, quarter panel, boot floor... list goes on ;)

T-boned in the side after I lost it. Unfortunately the guy that hit me tried to go around the outside but at that point id lost control completely and had my foot on the brake so slid off backwards. Not a lot either of us could do at that point.

Tom Fenton

From my experience, as you have got the base model tube, I would try it. I've used them over many years solid mounted and with big bars on occasion and not had an issue.

Henry 1.9GTi

Thanks Tom,

I've already committed to buying a GTi tube so will just go ahead with that. Peace of mind for me as well.

It's been nearly 3 years since the car has seen action so looking forward to just getting it done, was too depressed after the accident to look at the car so she sat for 2 years haha