• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Connor

Alternator Belt Installation

Connor

Hi there,

Should it be very difficult to get the alternator belt on? I got from eurocarparts a 710mm belt that really seems to be too short. Can anyone advise on what should be the correct length of belt, or if I'm doing it wrong, I've just slackened off the tensioner completely and still can't get it on...

Cheers

Connor

Tom Fenton

Euro crap bits strike again. Don’t know the correct belt length but a decent motor factor should be able to advise. No numbers on the old one?

jackherer

I believe it's 698mm for non-PAS and 954mm for PAS.

However I've just noticed this is in the TU section, the above lengths are for 1.6 or 1.9 GTIs, which engine does your 205 have?

Telf

have you compared the new and old belt?

Connor

The old belt snapped mid-drive so I can't compare sadly. Its the TU3S engine. I just tried a 935mm which was way too long, it must be around 800mm...

Connor
8 hours ago, Telf said:

have you compared the new and old belt?

18 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

Euro crap bits strike again. Don’t know the correct belt length but a decent motor factor should be able to advise. No numbers on the old one?

Yeah I'll try somewhere else. You'd think it would be straightforward to get an alternator belt!

jackherer

There are several lengths listed for TU engined 205s on servicebox, 670/685mm or 710mm. There is an 855mm too but that is only listed for TU3 engines with aircon which I don't think was available in the UK.