• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PiperCub

Cambelt Cam/Crank timing locations

PiperCub

Been thrown in on a job to sort out a part done cambelt swap on a mates '91 1.6 - stock condition.  It's been a good few years since I did a 205 C/B (did a 406TD XUD a few years ago - the same but different!).

So just want some clarification on the timing/lock up points on the crank & cam.  This is what I think I know to be correct..... 

Cam pulley - the pin hole at about 7 o'clock when the hole lines up with a boss with a hole in it on the rear of the head so a pin goes through the hole in the pulley and in the boss.

Crank pulley - the hole at about 12 o'clock. Now this is the one I'm a bit sketchy on. I think I should be using the 10mm hole (on the raised section of the pulley) with the two small holes either side. A 10mm dowel (or drill should go through the pulley, though the plastic cover (if still in place) and into the smaller of the two locations on the block. The smaller on is 8mm the bigger (to it's right ) is 10mm which is apparantly for bracing. Plus the two 11mm bolts holding the cover on (or the holes if the cover has been removed) should be visible through the other two 10mm holes (at 120 degrees to each other).

All the pistons are mid-stroke at this point. 

Can someone confirm or correct me on the above please as I don't want to screw up someone else's engine.

Thanks 

Telf

you are correct, Cam is at roughly 7 o'clock, Crank is 12. Use the raised section on the crank.

PiperCub

Does the crank locate in the smaller of the two apertures in the block? The info sheet (not specific to the 205 just XU's in general) from Gates seems to indicate this - the pic is small and the quality is not great. 

Edited by PiperCub

Telf

it goes in the space indicated by the arrow on the picture

Peugeot-205-GTI-Timing-Belt.jpg

welshpug

there are also two lines on the belt, which correspond to two small notches, one on the crank pulley which you can see pictured above at roughly the 3 o clock mark, and the cam pulley has one at around the 2 ish area.

PiperCub

Excellent - thanks for the info gentlemen - and the superb photo! 

Just to clarify - the cam lock pin goes through the hole (at about 7 o'clock) and also through the hole in the boss behind it? I assume this is the case as I can't see a reason for the casting to be there otherwise so it'd make sense.