• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

parry

Merc A class electric pump

parry

Has anybody successfully run a A class electric pump. I just moved over from a astra unit and all the merc pump wants to do is blow the top seal on the steering rack.

2 possible issues:

1. Merc pressure too high - But if someone else is running successfully then that might not be the problem.

2. Stuffed 1 way valve in the rack thus building up pressure and boom. Dont want to find out the hard way and blow our last rack a week out from a race.

Any help appreciated.

jackherer

According to Google the Merc pump runs at 71-73 bar, mrfirepro tested a brand new 205 GTI mechanical pump and that ran at about 1000 psi which is about the same, maybe 5% less but not enough to be an issue.

edit: page 14 in that thread ^^^, I tried to link directly to it but it didn't work.

Edited by jackherer

parry
11 hours ago, jackherer said:

According to Google the Merc pump runs at 71-73 bar, mrfirepro tested a brand new 205 GTI mechanical pump and that ran at about 1000 psi which is about the same, maybe 5% less but not enough to be an issue.

Thanks, I found the issue. As I have reloacted the Merc pump to the cabin of the car, I had reversed the highpressure line at the firewall. The one way valve in the pump was doing its job. 

• Like 1

SweetBadger

My 106 pump used to live in the passenger foot-well. Scrutineers were none too happy about it due to the high pressure pas lines being in sight of the driver - almost stopped us racing (we covered it well with some gaffa tape reinforced cardboard, so were allowed to play that day).

I relocated the pump to the engine bay on the battery tray, but the other option would have been to mount a cover over the pump and pipes so there was no line of sight to the driver - might be worth considering if you haven't done this already.

What's the benefit of the A-class pump? Lighter?

parry

Less issues with heat and no oil starvation, my astra pumps were only lasting a few years, lets see what the merc pump is like and it is lighter