• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Atreides

Who still refurb's rear beams?

welshpug

I've used one a customer had bought to us, had to bin the bearings it came with as they weren't fitted well and were far too tight for the shaft to slide in.

Fitted a set of snr bearings and it went together much better, still not as nicely as a 30 year old oem tube.

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

I’ve no problem with them, (pattern cross tubes). I’ve micced up the outer bearing bores and they were in spec and not oval or tapered.

Some folk like to rubbish anything that isn’t genuine. I’ve actually measured dimensions and tested hardness of surfaces and found many of these copy parts to be absolutely fit for intended purpose.

• Like 2

calvinhorse

I’ve got a non genuine beam tube and bearings on my daily 205 that I purchased from Tom, I built it up using good second hand pins/shafts and packed them with cheap cv grease,  it’s been on 2 years and does 200+ miles a week to and from work and that’s on sh*t Derbyshire roads all year round and at a fairly fast pace.. it’s got zero play and makes no nasty noises, I’d happily buy another if I ever needed one 

• Like 1

dcc

Nothing wrong with the cross members that I M axles provide, as mei said we just replace the bearings as we've had them fail first hand after less than 2 or 3 stages on a tarmac rally (no worse than a track day).

They tend to take better quality bearings nicely enough, and as a matter of course we change the stub axle to suit the bearings supplied in the kit. the fit is 10x better.

if people ever need a cross member and we don't have a 2nd hand one to use available, we have used I M Axle cross members and just replaced the bearings from new.

never had a problem with any of the castings, the torsion bar splines sit nicely in there, no play. the only thing I'd be tempted to keep an eye on is the 4 'top hat' shaped bushes in the cross member. these don't take massive forces, but no idea if they are made of chocolate. you tend to see 30 yr old oem items in perfect order, so i imagine they'll last a few years regardless.

for what it's worth we are in Bridgend, South Wales and now charge £330 to strip, clean, rebuild your old axle (new bearings, seals, shafts). If you need another axle to replace yours due to wear we offer an exchange axle for £50 on top (if we have one in stock).

Deek

I failed to rebuild a beam during covid lockdown so it's now been done through Axles By Stef.  Stef was very helpful and there's no hesitation from me in recommending him. Photos of finished product taken from his facebook page in July.

I'm going to put some effort into extending the life of the 205 fleet so I'm now scouring the forum for advice on underbody protection and inner wing repairs (and suggestions for welders)......

205D Beam Before.jpg

205D Beams.jpg

jord294

post-11467-1283933501_thumb.jpg

jord294

mine come with yellow tubes aswell, and hubs

Edited by jord294
correction to comment

Dazzer 1969

Hi Andy are still doing rear axles? Cheers Darren 

jord294
4 hours ago, Dazzer 1969 said:

Hi Andy are still doing rear axles? Cheers Darren 

Yes mate. Currently got a refreshed 1.6 gti axle here with 23mm bars, but std can be refitted

Dazzer 1969

Hi pal we have a 1.9gti and we believe seized on one side so looking for ideas can it be rebuilt or is it scrap

jord294
1 hour ago, Dazzer 1969 said:

Hi pal we have a 1.9gti and we believe seized on one side so looking for ideas can it be rebuilt or is it scrap

If you get it to me I can let you know the situation. If the tube is worn, I have plenty o genuine tubes to replace. Message me if you need more details 

Dazzer 1969
On 6/3/2022 at 7:03 PM, jord294 said:

If you get it to me I can let you know the situation. If the tube is worn, I have plenty o genuine tubes to replace. Message me if you need more details 

Hi Andy sorry for not replying trying to sort best way to get axle to you as we are in Gloucestershire how do other people do it as not sure about couriers 

jord294
11 hours ago, Dazzer 1969 said:

Hi Andy sorry for not replying trying to sort best way to get axle to you as we are in Gloucestershire how do other people do it as not sure about couriers 

Fetch the axle in person. Had customers travel from all places to get their axle sorted

Dazzer 1969

Heading that way on the 26th august. Could be with you by midday. Heading back through on the 28th. Would that be enough time for you, or no good on a bank holiday weekend? Thoughts please

jord294

Heading that way on the 26th august. Could be with you by midday. Heading back through on the 28th. Would that be enough time for you, or no good on a bank holiday weekend? Thoughts please

If your axle in good use able order, you can px it for one I have in stock, fully rebuilt and powdercoated 

Dazzer 1969
56 minutes ago, jord294 said:

If your axle in good use able order, you can px it for one I have in stock, fully rebuilt and powdercoated 

Okay down to the £ if my axle is useable and we px what are we talking and if mine is s*it what we talking cheers Darren 

matara

Hi all from Sydney, Australia. New to 205's but I think my rear beam might need rebuilding. What are the symptoms of a beam that needs a rebuild? Only thing I have noticed is that sometimes on a bend my car feels a little uncertain from the rear, like it has shuffled just a tad but not very confidence inspiring. Would this be movement in the rear end. The wheels look like they the camber is ok, no negative camber as such. Also if I go over a pothole or bump, it sounds like the tailgate is ajar, like there is a little bit too much of a bang noise from the rear. I have Koni shocks on the rear, and it's an Aussie 205 Si model made to look like a rallye. IMG_8367.thumb.jpeg.d5150c94452d7160c0c4e2a538766b1d.jpeg

welshpug

If you dont know it has been refreshed at all then it needs doing regardless really, even if its in good condition fitting new bearings and seals as a minimum  is not expensive.

When there is play they can feel a little uncertain like you mention, or take a second to settle once you turn in and have to open the steering a touch.

Worn bushes can also cause very similar traits in handling though.

jord294
On 7/5/2022 at 8:21 PM, Dazzer 1969 said:

Okay down to the £ if my axle is useable and we px what are we talking and if mine is s*it what we talking cheers Darren 

I have messaged you with details

Dazzer 1969

Hi Andy have lost all your details can you message me again pls as today have taken axle off car and ready for a new one cheers Darren

jord294

Hi Andy have lost all your details can you message me again pls as today have taken axle off car and ready for a new one cheers Darren

Pm you

Conorocon

Hi, I'm based in Ireland but will might be travelling to Lanark in the next few weeks by car. Is there anyone up north refurbing axles?

welshpug

Tom Fenton is probably the furthest North that i know of!

mat_the_cat
On 6/3/2022 at 7:03 PM, jord294 said:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am after someone in North Wales to refurbish a 1.9 axle. I'm a new member so seemingly unable to send messages at present, although I may be able to reply if you send one to me please.

jord294
2 hours ago, mat_the_cat said:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am after someone in North Wales to refurbish a 1.9 axle. I'm a new member so seemingly unable to send messages at present, although I may be able to reply if you send one to me please.

I'm at ch74sb.