• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

Front suspension height

Telf

So post rebuild I thought I'd see if the front suspension would settle but it is still high. It is fitted with bilsten G3 shocks and the original springs. See pics.. 

Any ideas why it's still high? I am wondering if the original springs are in some way incompatible with bilsten shocks?

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1559126866521.jpg_1559126868639.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1559126899056.jpg_1559126901076.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1559126879237.jpg_1559126881874.jpeg

Edited by Telf

jackherer

Your strut top mounts looked wrong to me, if they are definitely the same springs you started with then it can only be the top mounts.

BTW I've never heard of Bilstein G3s, are they not B4s?

jackherer

They'll be fine then. And because they fit the uprights and droplinks they must be Pug ones, and even if they were for a 306 or something it wouldn't affect the ride height.

I checked the springs and they are seated in the top and bottom pans correctly.

I am pretty sure you will find something wrong with the top mounts when you take them apart although I'm not sure what as it is pretty high.

Or you mixed the springs up somewhere, are you sure they didn't throw yours away and buy replacements? :P

Telf

Well I've got the recipient from the powder coater so they should be the right ones

Doc 205

Slightly off topic, but what did you treat your exterior trim with? Looks mint. That’s next on my list, so any pointers appreciated. 

Telf

It's been painted with plastic paint. Cosworth grey which appears to match the rear boot panel I purchased from Peugeot museum

Doc 205

Ok, good to know. Thanks. 

Nobbly
11 hours ago, Telf said:

Yeah B4s....lol

Hi Telf,

I used Billy B4s and PugRacing GTI springs on my dturbo and the height looks just a whisker lower than the GTI which had all the standard suspension put back in. The difference is very slight and may be due to the engine being a tiny bit heavier in the diesel.

Also, do you have a link or part number for the rear boot panel to save me wrestling with French translations on the Musée website!

Car is looking gorgeous by the way!

Nobbly

Here's my height ;-)

2019_0513_08292700.jpg

• Like 2

Telf

The panel is on the most bought section on the webpage. It's also I think the second or third to last page on the site . Page 70 odd. I'll try find my invoice. 

• Thanks 1

Telf

today I stripped the struts down, im at a loss, they are assembled as per the exploded view on service box but still its sitting high. I think my only option is to buy shorthened springs- can anybody recommend a set please?

jackherer

That's weird. The spring pan on the damper looks like it might be at a slightly odd angle but it's probably just the photo. And even then the way it looks to be tilted would lower it anyway.

I was comparing it to this one from google image search: 713558946_ScreenShot2019-06-01at15_58_12.png.bacf19fea8b5845be5e3125e7f951207.png

Unless those dampers have some sort of manufacturing defect you must have mixed the springs up somewhere, maybe the powder coaters had more than one set in...?

I've got some springs here you can try if you want. They should lower a standard car by about 30-35mm, they came off of my car and were pretty much the same height as the ones currently fitted.

jackherer

They're not BakerBM bushes are they? They'll raise it by about 10mm if they are.

Philpooma
22 hours ago, Telf said:

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1559377219417.jpg_1559377221826.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1559377239813.jpg_1559377242042.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1559377259041.jpg_1559377260873.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1559377393709.jpg_1559377397426.jpeg

Just been out to the garage and photographed my freshly built struts, they look the same as yours. Cant see that you have done anything wrong there. Mine also measure the same extended length too

9417A7AF-1663-4387-BC81-03E61046DD04.jpeg

Telf

ok cheers phil

That would suggest you are going to have the same high ride height!

Telf
On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 4:02 PM, jackherer said:

They're not BakerBM bushes are they?

no mate they arent

jackherer

OK that would only account for an extra 10mm or so anyway.

Like I said before I've got some springs here with a known ride height...

Telf

Could this gap be in part because of the tyres I've got fitted?

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1559542559362.jpg_1559542562752.jpeg

jackherer

A tiny bit yes but most of us run 195s so that's probably what you're comparing to anyway.

The difference in diameter between a 185 55 and 195 50 is 8.5mm so it only adds 4.25mm to the arch gap and you have about 30-40mm too much I reckon.

hoodygoodwood

If the springs are are a much stiffer rate they will not settle down as much when the weight of the car is put on them , what diameter is the coil spring wire ? I will check some of mine with a vernier when i am at the garage tomorrow .

hoodygoodwood

Just checked some springs at my garage , i have a pair of old std Boge struts and springs from a 309 GTI , the spring is 12.84 mm diameter and the fitted length is 254 mm ( not including top mount like in your pic ) . I have a pair of new Vogtland springs on Koni top adjustables for my 309 , they are 12.65 mm dia with a 248 mm fitted length . I have a couple of spare pairs of red 205/309 front coils and they are 14.0 mm and 14.1 mm diameter so would be a much stiffer rate and would not compress anywhere near as much under load .

Edited by hoodygoodwood
  • Thanks 1

SootySport

I measured my arch gaps front and rear before I dismantled the suspension and it was 350 mm between the bottom lip of the wheel arches and centre of the wheels, front and rear.   Pretty certain that is the oe factory height as the struts are OE and never been changed.  

In your photo With your wheels turned they will look higher than normal.  

Telf

From the top of my tyre to the bottom of the arch trim is 3.25 inches which seems alot to me. 

The springs are original springs.