• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Doc 205

Megajolt intermittent ignition

Doc 205

I’m running an Mi16 with twin dellorto 45 carbs and a megajolt ignition system. 

Recently replaced the plugs and coil pack and it generally start on the button (providing it turns over). However, on occasion (actually, fairly frequently) I’ll turn the key in the ignition, all the lights will come on as they should, the gauges will spring into life, but when I turn the key the last bit to start the engine, it just does nothing. Doesn’t even try to turn over at all. I can bump start it no problem. 

I’m wondering if it might be a wiring issue. Perhaps a loose connection somewhere, hence why it’s intermittent. 

The other thing I wondered is if it might be related to the megajolt system- which I know nothing about. Does this need to be treated in a certain way to keep it working correctly? E.g. turn the ignition halfway and let it think for a few seconds before turning it all the way?

Any thoughts appreciated. 

Tom Fenton

To be honest do a search on starter motor issues, brown plug issues, it’s all been covered a hundred times before. It’s 99.9% nothing to do with the megajolt.

jackherer

It sounds like the typical 205 starter issue, look for the thin wire plugged into the starter motor with a spade connector, there will be corrosion or bad wiring either on the spade connector, the wiring, or on the brown multiplug you'll find if you follow the wiring back.

There is almost certainly no relation between the megajolt and this problem.

Doc 205

Ah, ok- good to know. Thanks folks, and apologies for raising something that’s been dealt with before. I’ll go and have a butchers at these wires. 

• Like 1

Wallby

I had the exact same issue on my mi16 recently and after running a new wire from the battery to the solenoid, found out that it was the ignition switch that was faulty.