• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
alanx

GTI Subframe?

alanx

Hi guys this is my first post. I am from Hong kong and I have a 92 GTI 1.9 and a 93 CTI 1.9. I am planning to overhaul the suspension of the 93 CTI and i found a subframe from a breaker. The breakfer statued its from a 205 Si but it looked like a subframe from a GTI to me am I correct? Thanks! 

autoparts_kouichi-img600x450-1365673121lfjluw25757.jpg

autoparts_kouichi-img600x450-1365673122fezgvc25757.jpg

autoparts_kouichi-img600x450-1365673122jzxecf25757.jpg

jackherer

It has the rear wishbone mounts so it is a GTI subframe.

2 hours ago, alanx said:

Hi guys this is my first post

Welcome to the forum! (backdated to 2011 :))

welshpug

Si I believe was 1.6 gti running gear, a model usually found in Australia

alanx
2 hours ago, jackherer said:

It has the rear wishbone mounts so it is a GTI subframe.

Welcome to the forum! (backdated to 2011 :))

Thanks that would be a good upgrade to the CTI :)

alanx
15 minutes ago, welshpug said:

Si I believe was 1.6 gti running gear, a model usually found in Australia

It's from a 1993 Si from Japan. We did not have the Si model in Hong Kong so I couldn't find much information about it. It's a 1.9 with DFZ engine n a MT gearbox. 

jackherer

It is a very good upgrade for the CTI but you'll need GTI wishbones and GTI dampers too.

The dampers are required because the CTI dampers don't have a tab for the anti roll bar drop links to attach to.

You may also need to relocate the brake line brackets on the inner wing. This is due to interference with the ARB tabs on the dampers.

Compare the location of the brake pipe brackets on your GTI and your CTI, if they are the same then you wont need to move them.

alanx

I have a pair of 309 GTI wishbones laying around I think they will fit? I read somewhere saying I may need 309 driveshafts as well but I m not sure. 

It's easier to find parts for the GTI than the CTI I have a set of GTI dampers on order I may put them on the CTI then :)

jackherer

Yes they'll fit, you'll get more negative camber too.

You need to check the driveshaft lengths on your specific 205 with 309 wishbones fitted. Sometimes 205 ones are fine but other cars need 309 ones.

It depends what you use your cars for but you might do best to put the 309 wishbones on your GTI.

SRDT

A real 205 driveshaft shouldn't fit right with 309 wishbones.

There is no 309 driveshaft that fit the 1.9 CTI hub and was used with a powerful engine, any 309 with a bit of power or even torque had the same big hubs than the 205 GTI 1.9.

Using the 309 wishbones on the 1.9 GTI with 309 GTI/GTI16 driveshafts is indeed the best thing to do.

jackherer

A lot of people have used 205 shafts with 309 wishbones but it's possible they were all aftermarket shafts with suspect lengths!

I forgot the 1.9 CTI doesn't use 1.9 GTI hubs.