• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Crescent205

205 prices gone stale

Crescent205

It was bound to happen but have any of you noticed that there's hardly any movement in the 205 market lately? The initial 'panic' buying that started the price war off a few years ago has worn off now and anyone asking silly money for there 205 seems to be paying more in advertising fees than the cost of running it! I think we'll see prices start to drop off now until they reach a sensible level that will kick start people into buying them again. Interested to hear your thoughts on this.

Doc 205

There have certainly been a few hanging about on gumtree for a while that are priced quite strongly in my opinion. I concluded that the sellers must be waiting for some chump to come along with more money than sense and pay the asking price.

03hawkinst

I feel like I may have been one of those “chumps” a few months back..... oops :/

03hawkinst

Apart from the more money than sense bit obviously 

chris 417 mi

I'm hoping to buy a project in the next few months for winter so ( for me ) this is good news :)

Crescent205

I think there was a few that got caught out over the last few years but as long you don't look to profit on the who cares what you paid for them, just enjoy :). I think by winter time Chris you'll stand a good chance of buying a reasonably priced project.

Telf

I think there have been far too many chancers artificially inflating the price of mediocre cars. I read the blurb on these cars and just roll my eyes and think' give me a break!'

So many that are clearly average at best -with wonky panels etc etc. 

Hopefully prices will drop and the fad can move onto the next must have car- good bye all the make a quick buck merchants and good riddance.

A decent 205GTI is probably around the £5kmark, a fix upper £1.5 to 2 k . Nut and bolt restoration-i dunno 8 to 10 maybe with a  fair wind? Still far below what mine cost to do ! Lol

Edited by Telf

Leslie green

Just too many cars for sale so its easy to see the are far from rare and they don't even rust that bad so that's unlikely to change any time soon lol, still a decent long term prospect though and good cars will always sell for decent money  but average/poor  cars will struggle to find buyers.  

Crescent205
10 hours ago, Telf said:

I think there have been far too many chancers artificially inflating the price of mediocre cars. I read the blurb on these cars and just roll my eyes and think' give me a break!'

So many that are clearly average at best -with wonky panels etc etc. 

Hopefully prices will drop and the fad can move onto the next must have car- good bye all the make a quick buck merchants and good riddance.

A decent 205GTI is probably around the £5kmark, a fix upper £1.5 to 2 k . Nut and bolt restoration-i dunno 8 to 10 maybe with a  fair wind? Still far below what mine cost to do ! Lol

I agree although I think my values would be £3.5k decent, £800-£1000 a project, nut and bolt I think your on the money with £8k, I currently know for a 1 owner 1.9 that's in very good untouched condition with 80k on it and still in the original purchasers hands and because of the phantom prices and the ebay sellers chancing their arm he's finally agreed to sell it me after many years of chasing but has done his research and has priced it accordingly. As desperate as i am for this car i simply can't justify his price :(

trashy

I think there's a good chance prices will continue to climb.  People who were in their early 20s in the late 1980s and early 1990s who admired (but couldn't afford) the 205 GTi then, will now be close to mortgage-free, have kids leaving home, etc so will have a bigger disposable income.  More money for toys :)

Edited by trashy

Philpooma

I think the issue with value, is that it depends on the individual car and its condition, provenance etc.

I have seen loads of cars advertised at strong prices described as rust free, when its clear on the image that they are not. There will always be a market when people will pay good money for car car that’s genuinely in very good condition, just as there will always be a market for tarted up cars at the lower end of the price scale.

The challenge with cars of the age the Gti is now, is that there are lots of cars with hidden corrosion and as we all know corrosion is the killer of older cars.

I think that its very difficult to put a price scale against these cars for the above reasons, as with any other collectable car, the buyer will decide what they want to pay.

One thing is for sure, these are great cars.

SootySport

Had mine for a year now.  Almost every time I went out for a drive there was a thumbs up from other drivers, someone shouts out “I used to have one” and a couple of offers to buy at the price I paid for it - makes me feel good.

Now in the process of a rebuild.

Telf

Yep it's amazing how everyone 'used to have one'

welshpug

to be fair, there were tens of thousands on the roads back then and many changed hands every few years as lives move on.