• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kachel

Fuel gauge

kachel

My fuel gauge isn't working anymore. I have disconnected the plug on the fuel sensor under the rear seats and gave earth (not birth) to the blue wire with the ignition on but no movement on the gauge. The white wire on the plug gave 12 volt. Can i assume that the gauge on the dashboard is not working anymore? Is there a way to fix the gauge or should it be replaced? Are these gauges availabele and is it possible to remove only the fuel gauge from the panel?

SRDT

Maybe it's not the gauge, you still have a bit of wiring to check before the gauge itself.

kachel

Indeed, I'll open the gauge cluster and check from there again. Thanks! 

kachel

Today i removed the instrument cluster and connected earth wire direct on the metal point on the behind of the fuel gauge, the one that is connected with wire 65. No reaction unfortunately. I had the cluster on power by the way.

I did the same test with the oil temperature gauge (wire 30a)and this time the oil gauge went to maximum. So i can assume that the fuel gauge is broke? Is it replacable?

SRDT

Did you check the +12V and the ground on the gauge itself?

kachel

No, i connected the earth wire to the pin from the fuel gauge where the signal wire (number65) is connected to via the pcb. The fuel gauge did not move. When i did the same to the oil temp gauge (wire 30a) the oil temp gauge moved all the way.

SRDT

The gauge need +12V, ground and signal to operate, even if the oil temp gauge work you should bypass the pcb just in case.

As for finding another fuel gauge in a non GTI cluster you can look for a 309 4 instrument Veglia cluster, a mk2 BX one and probably the 405 and 306 too.

kachel

Thanks! A second hand cluster is on its way. 

kachel

Today I received the test cluster and connect it. The fuel gauge worked so the cause is clear now. 

16h70oy.jpg

Is the fuel gauge replaceable? It seems it is together with the oil pressure gauge on one part of the cluster. Anyone done this before? 

Anthony

Yes it is replaceable - undo the small nuts on the rear and the two small screws on the front and it pushes out from behind.

SRDT

Peugeot was selling it with the oil pressure gauge but yes it can be done, just like taking apart the speedometer to repair the trip odometer.

kachel

Thanks a lot guys! 

Faulty gauge removed
282dpu9.jpg

Working gauge installed 
2j2yw7n.jpg

Result! 
2vxf8d3.jpg