• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

4ll5op

Rose Jointed Gear linkages installation

4ll5op

ok so ive bought these as the gear selection is like a lottery. more so when car is warm.

im wanting to tackle the installation this bank holiday but before i start want to get a good idea of the process and / or anything else i might be needing to buy

thanks in advance

stu

ps. its be1 box if that makes a difference

IMG_20190417_191013.jpg

jackherer
16 minutes ago, 4ll5op said:

ps. its be1 box if that makes a difference

It makes life much easier compared to BE3!

From what I remember you just need a drill and some patience while adjusting the rods...

4ll5op

From memory can u remember what im drilling?

From what ive read i need to modify the triangle arm on gearbox to remove the ball and allow for the new joints?

Tom Fenton

You’d be better off to be honest with the clip on style joints rather than actual

rose joints, the clip on type are direct fit. I think you’ll need to take a lot of stuff off the car to drill and fit the Rose jointed rods.

4ll5op

Clip on ie original ones?

This is why i left it til bank holiday weekend to do it, in case there was more work involved just couldn't find a guide anywhere

Tom Fenton

Similar to original but with better joints with a retaining clip. 

Such as these

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F233177695458

The Rose jointed ones will need the original balls cutting off various places then holes drilling to bolt the Rose joints on.

4ll5op

Dont sound too difficult if thats all i need to do is drill some holes in some places

Do you know where and how many roughly?

JeffR

I think you'd be better off to follow Tom's advise. I replaced my worn out OEM ones with a the retaining clip style from Miles (Pugracing).

No dismantling or modification of any components making for a quick and straight fit. Just make sure to adjust them to the correct length. The rose jointed ones in your post seem to have very little adjustment.

4ll5op

The ones i have seem to adjust quite a bit i dont mind the extra work as its not a daily driver and have all bank holiday to do it. Like i said just looking for a guide really and im kind of up for a challenge. If when i start i think im out of my depth then ill look into the others but ive already got these rose joint rods and wont get the others in time 

Tom Fenton

Anywhere there is a standard rod, remove it, grind the weld securing the original ball and remove the ball, drill a hole in that place and bolt the rod on. You'll need to remove most of the gear linkage from the car to do it. If you need more of a guide than that then I'd suggest its maybe beyond your comfort zone?

• Like 1

4ll5op

ok thats brilliant i should be able to conquer this. i always worry about doing jobs on the 205 but when i finish i think i dont know what i was worried about. ive failed to not complete any job ive tried yet. i just keep challenging myself to more complex jobs

petert

I use cap headed shoulder bolts when I do rose joints, with an appropriate length spacer to keep the rose joint away from the lever. In metric, of course. A small TIG weld underneath keeps it in place, negating the need for an allen key.

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 7.36.27 PM.png

Edited by petert

4ll5op

ok so i had a look at this today. i can see all the ball joints i need replacing but the 2 arms on the gear box i cant see how to remove them. and i dont fancy drilling holes with them still attached.

anyway i got underneath and tightened the ball joint on subframe and thats made it better. but i think im going to just buy the linkages you suggested on here.

so if anyone is after some rose joint linkages let me know original ebay number 132975445272