• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

dogbreath

Current market value

dogbreath

Hi, thinking of selling my 1989 1.6GTi. It is in reasonable condition needing TLC. 115,000 miles. Drives well, uses a bit of oil. Sadly it is not getting driven and they don't appreciate it.

I have never kept up to date on how much things are worth.

What is the going price for a reasonable version. I am not greedy and trying to get as much as possible but conversely I don't want to give it away.

Photo's always make cars look much better than they are.

Enc some pics

Thanks, Steve.

DSCF9061.JPG

DSCF9069.JPG

DSCF9086.JPG

DSCF9063.JPG

DSCF9070.JPG

DSCF9077.JPG

DSCF9067.JPG

DSCF9068.JPG

Gaz205

It really depend on what work it needs. If it's all Labour based work then it'll be ideal for a home mechanic or someone with base skills like myself, but if it needs parts like axle, brakes,suspension, interior Then it's a potential expensive project. 

I'd estimate bottom money £1500 -£2000 but may achieve more with a good valet and positive honest write up!

Doesn't look too bad at all.

dogbreath

thanks for that. all it needs is a new front ball joint but i'll fit that before i sell. front driver seat is a bit poor. £2,000 seems a reasonable figure to start off at and see where it goes. 

soundguy

I think you should have a browse at the ads for 205 GTis on Car & Classic for example, as well as Autotrader and eBay. At least with eBay you can select 'sold listings' to see what they actually went for. You might be in for a pleasant surprise (unless you actually sell at £2,000 - which you shouldn't in my opinion)

For instance see: https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/list/87/205+gti/   < admittedly a wide range of GTis (1.6, 1.9, Mi, fully restored, partially, fully original, etc etc) - starting at £6,000 and up to £25,000. The right GTis have been known to go for something like £38,000 at auction if I recall (admittedly very low miles, immaculate condition etc).

Incidentally the cheapest GTi on Car & Classic at £6k has 178,000 miles, in Ireland.

Don't sell for £2,000!

Edited by soundguy

Gaz205

£2000 BOTTOM money prior to any work done...

You've just gotta be honest with yourself at how much you want for it and what you know needs doing to it. Car and classic from what I've seen is massively inflated prices.

i have a ph1 that's pretty much mint inside and out and I value that at 5k max with less miles, still the 1.6.

only you can decide what you want for it 

soundguy

There aren't any 205 GTi's anywhere for £2k.

Gaz205

Yawn...

OP - good luck with anything you choose to do! Hopefully you understand the concept of a starting price and allowing it to increase as people bid and not mis reading twice the words BOTTOM PRICE.:rolleyes:

speno

Remove the Ford number plate and it will add at least a grand or is that the other way round ^_^

Crescent205

£1500 to max £2000, there is lots of 'overpriced' 205's out there for sale but they're not actually selling for that kind of money. Anyone can ask any figure for a car but whether it sells or not is a different matter. 

Doc 205
10 hours ago, Crescent205 said:

£1500 to max £2000, there is lots of 'overpriced' 205's out there for sale but they're not actually selling for that kind of money. Anyone can ask any figure for a car but whether it sells or not is a different matter. 

Agreed. A car (or anything, for that matter) is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. I’ve seen 205s sitting on Gumtree and the like for months, at inflated prices. I suspect the owners are happy to wait for someone with more money than sense to come along and make an impulse buy.