• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

4ll5op

CLUTCH CABLE REPLACEMENT

4ll5op

i thought i would tackle this today.

so far i have

disconnected the cable from clutch arm

cut cable tie on sub-frame

disconnected the cable from the pedal.

my problem is i can see a white bit of plastic behind the pedal the cable goes through. im guessing this is what you lot call the gromit?

anyway how the hell do i remove it.

thanks

stu

jackherer

Is this the car with a slipping clutch from your other thread?

You're not going to stop a clutch slipping with a new cable...

I did just have a thought about it though, did you have the dowel rod present between the clutch arm and the clutch fork? (number 2 on this diagram)

685466336_ScreenShot2019-03-03at12_35_33.png.d824e898361550e91fc40171794affbb.png

4ll5op

yes mate its the same car. its needed a new cable for a while as it judders when lifting foot off and as i was bored thought id change it before it goes in this week for the clucth.

do not remember seeing dowel rod

jackherer

The dowel goes between the clutch fork and the clutch arm, if you don't have that it's not going to work properly.

I just found this photo:

935209428_be1clutchdowelpin.jpg.670078b99a42a32bc7e565ac03040422.jpg

4ll5op

ok ill double check if the rain stops soon. 

any tips of removing the grommet mate?

jackherer

Sorry, I can't remember what the pedal end of the cable on a BE1 205 looks like, all of mine are BE3 now, it's years since I last had a BE1.

jackherer

The dowel pin thing isn't held in by anything other than the tension of the cable so if you've undone the cable it would have fallen off then! So it probably wasn't there in the first place, when you had to tighten the cable I suspect you were compensating for the missing dowel which wont work and might be why your clutch started slipping.

It's just a pin with rounded ends about 1" long, you can improvise something fairly easily. Or it's Peugeot part number 212046

• Like 1

4ll5op

this is the pedal end.  its the rubber bit nearest pedal i cant remove was hoping there was a knack or certain tool someone uses

Q9RjaZURPzsm9ud16IMG_20190303_133132.thumb.jpg.935069213d38f205e1468b99cf17ef7e.jpg

jackherer

Pull harder!

• Haha 1

Tom Fenton

Pull harder or try and get a screwdriver in and push the lip of the grommet through to get it started. It’s awkward in the footwell though.

mmt
6 hours ago, jackherer said:

The dowel goes between the clutch fork and the clutch arm, if you don't have that it's not going to work properly.

I just found this photo:

935209428_be1clutchdowelpin.jpg.670078b99a42a32bc7e565ac03040422.jpg

Is the spring “mandatory” or just there to keep the dowel from dropping to the floor? 

Tom Fenton

As you say, it stops the dowel dropping out if the cable breaks.

jackherer

If you don't have the spring you can drill the pin and lockwire it to something.

Richie-Van-GTi

I can't see a cable causing the clutch to judder but still worth putting a new cable in if it's old and tired.

4ll5op

no not the clutch juddering its definitely the cable , when i release my foot its not smooth it kind of jerks back to position feels like it grinds or scrapes. i soaked it in wd40 a couple months back as a test, but its started doing it again now. i can see its starting to fray at the gearbox end aswell.

Edited by 4ll5op

4ll5op

ok so clucth cable is all attached i purchased a FKC1103

this is the same length as the one i took off but tightening up the nuts all the way and pedal is right near the floor.  

im guessing there is something obvious i have missed/forgot?

jackherer

What about the dowel pin?

4ll5op

cant see one but there is a spring there.

would there 100% of been one before as nothing had fell out that i can see' or is the pin to replace a missing spring.

the other thing i was thinking was the routing of the cable.

Edited by 4ll5op

jackherer

100% yes.

In the yellow circle in the photo above are the two parts either side of the rod just touching each other on your gearbox? If so that is definitely wrong and wont work properly if at all.

Just find a bit of metal rod about 1 inch long and put that in there, you need something for sure. The old one is probably on the road somewhere after falling out.

4ll5op

ok cool ill find something to put in there. 

will this affect height of pedal then?

Richie-Van-GTi

Yes, the pin will lift the pedal.

4ll5op

brilliant that must be it.

theres a beer for u lads if ur ever passing Telford.

farmer

If you want a Peugeot rod drop me a mail as got loads but they stop supplying them 2 years back

4ll5op

im gonna pop onto the shop floor at work and make one using an ejector pin. what diameter roughly do i need please?

thanks

jackherer

They're probably about 8-10mm max.

If you look at the clutch fork and arm where the rod sits there is a cup shape to receive it and it needs to be rounded to match that.