• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

East_Hud

Rallye Rescue

East_Hud

Thought it was about time I did some sort of build thread on here seeing as I’ve gained so much knowledge from the site it’s only fair.

I have a 1.9 which is a stripped for the track, caged and now wide arched. Only I’ve never gotten round to finish it. So one would assume it was safe to think that would be the one to finish....but no, I’ve gone a bought a Rallye. It’s a white one, has lost her stripes and has come with a lot of free speed holes! Suffice to say it’s going to get fairly involved.

Been a mission already...found a second hand towbar on ebag for the trusty berlingo, fitted it, hired a trailer, drove 5 hours to get it. Very helpful seller basically loaded it for me and then began the very slow journey home in the dark, with an inexperienced tower and in a hideously underpowered 70hp rig dragging over a ton. Happily I made it home safe though, struggled on some inclines to hit 35! Though the trusty berlingo did rather well considering.

Now I’ve never had access to a garage before all my spannering is inevitably lying in wet gravel. Well there’s no way I’m doing that this time. So I’m going to have to build shed for it. Space has dictated that this is a max of 5m x 4m so will be tightish but needs must. So they’ll likely be little or no updates until this is built. Nothing fancy, brick and hardcore base, slabs mortared on top and a structure made of a trailer full of free construction timber and roof felt. Good job I picked a good time of year to be digging sh*t out eh..

Basically I know the car is in a bit of a state and the purpose of the build is to learn new skills and see what I can achieve. I have a good mig welder and hopefully soon I’ll have gained the skills to use it through lots of practice on this thing. Long term I’m conflicted as to whether to go back all original or make it more like a euro Rallye with the gti suspension and something like a 1600 vtr or vts engine. Another days problems!

Anyhow this is the aforementioned Rallye after a gentle, tentative jet wash..

55D8A2CF-2C66-48ED-8B5C-584A557783C5.thumb.jpeg.6cb1406981cef36966d51859bc71bc68.jpeg

Next at I thought I’d whip off the wheels ready to blast so I put my old track wheels on..never seen 15” rims look so big compared to the standard ones. Also the eagle eyed among you will spot where the sill collapsed when I jacked it up. Doh. Lesson learned!

1F6F7048-00C1-42D2-8318-BC776A32C4FE.thumb.jpeg.b19d7093a13a0c157fadf9ab793c9d23.jpeg

I’m well aware she was a rotter in places so was unsurprised once I’d stripped out the interior to find some free speed holes. Weight reduction! Ha

3C0A8F5A-AAB6-46B5-9289-4171E10C6C13.thumb.jpeg.54b473d60366f4329da62eb9b998336c.jpeg

That is the worst of it and the rest of the inner shell looks to be sound. I’ll have to wait to get to drop the beam and tank. The engine bay is going to need a lot of work too but nothing worthwhile was ever easy. I know a few will say it’s not worth it, buy a new shell but that’s not what it’s about for me. I’m going balls deep in this one and considering there’s only about 30 odd left on the road I think is worth it...even if it’s only an XR in drag! 

Cheers....I’ll pipe down now.

Edited by East_Hud

jackherer
52 minutes ago, East_Hud said:

Long term I’m conflicted as to whether to go back all original or make it more like a euro Rallye with the gti suspension and something like a 1600 vtr or vts engine.

Definitely the latter because...

52 minutes ago, East_Hud said:

it’s only an XR in drag! 

:)

• Haha 1

barneys66

Watching with interest !!

East_Hud

So after a fair amount of head scratching I have decided on a change of plans. I originally had the rather romantic notion of going back all original for this as they’re so rare and also to be worth a bit more if I ever sold it. Upon recollection considering the amount of welding it needs I don’t think this is the way forward for this one. Also I have some spares in the hoarde, gti rear beam & front subframe, spare mi16, 1.9 shafts, 1.9 box....so I’m going to the Resto mod route.

i have acquired a spare shell for the cuts to repair the body...

the hardcore base for the workshop is in just need to top, pave & build the shed (should be done this week)

Im now on the look out for the rest of the parts to finish her. Like I said before it’s on a budget so I’m ideally looking to swap my way to what I need wherever possible..bits I need..

1.9 front hubs

Gti front struts and springs

Rallye Driver’s Seat (ha yeah I know) or gti drivers seat

i have a fair few parts to swap including:

1.4 tu engine & box from this (unknown condition)

Rallye steels (13’s - no caps)

Rallye subframe & suspension (for Restoration)

Auto Bonnet (used and dented...lots)

Standard base model front bumper

Random green drivers door card

1.1 Saxo engine

mi16 standard exhaust manifold

mi16 inlet manifold

Gti rear quarter panels (look solid - still on spare shell)

Probably lots of other bits. Won’t hurt to ask.

long shot possibly I know but you gotta be in it to win it eh

As I say shed hopefully up by the end of the week before some exceptionally long days, weeks, months of welding the shall begin. 

Peace