• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mmt

Oil pressure by starter

mmt

Hi Guys 

just finished rebuilding a GTI6 engine. Priming it turning the starter motor with no sparkplugs. 

Question is How High an Oil pressure should I expect just by using the starter(10-20 secs). 

Thanks

jackherer

You can get the pressure quite high, easily enough to turn off the oil pressure light. But it can take a while, 10 seconds definitely wont be enough the first time, the pump needs to fill the oil filter before it pressurises the oil galleries.

SootySport

Fill the oil filter by hand before you screw it on, that will give you pressure a bit quicker.

also if you have fitted new cams or cam bearings, you are supposed to raise the idle speed the first time you run the engine, instructions should come with the cams. 

mmt

The light comes off but I am not sure it works properly.  The gauge reads 1,5-2bar not sure about the gauge either though. I’ll crank it a fee more times. 

Would I be able to see Oil squirting through the filler cap hole? 

jackherer

If the light goes off then it's all good IMO.

It's normal to see a bit of oil through the oil cap splashing around the cams when it's idling at 1000RPM but probably not at 250RPM or whatever the starter turns at.