• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
The Gentleman

Improving 205 brakes

The Gentleman

I have 1.6 I am restoring, engine is being rebuilt and fitted with throttle bodies and an omex ecu so expecting so decent output as such considering the brakes. Rear disk conversion going ahead, so now thinking of the front. I have 1.9 speed lines I have heard mention of fitting 307 disk/calipers? Is this worthwhile? What is the best way forward? 

Also so will the bearing fall out of the hub with drivershafts out when moving the car? 

Thanks in advance 

dcc

what hubs are you using?

if 1.6 then you are best off fitting base model hubs, this alters the offset for fitting anything like 1.9/306/307/206 etc...

Ozymandis

It`s a distinct possibility the hub flanges will fall out with the outer bearing seperating if you move it around without driveshafts clamping the bearing together.

Put some nuts and long bolts with washers to hold the bearing together or threaded bar,  some big washers/spreaders.

Dont have to fit well just clamp it together, m10 would be fine for pushing about.

I have some old outer cv joints I use.

The Gentleman

Thanks for the replies. Dan standard hubs that came with the car, it's a 1991 1.6 gti. In terms of changing the brakes what is the most cost effective way, do 307 brakes go straight on? I have heard some mention these are heavy, if this an issue? 

Jay thanks that a great tip, I'll do that. 

j_turnell

I would go with stock 1.9 calipers with some decent disks and pads. That'll be more than adequate, plus you can keep your 1.6 hubs.  

dcc

You would be best suited fitting base model hubs. You can then fit any brake upgrades for a 1.9. if you fit 1.9 hubs you also need 1.9 driveshafts. The 1m6 shafts have a different number of splines on the hub end and are also a different diameter. 

307 brakes (280odd mm) don't clear 1.6 wheels. Your best bet for 1.6 wheels would be a set of c2 vts calipers I think. 

You are less likely to find oval base model hubs in my experience which is also a great benefit for handling. (Gti items are messed about with quite a bit and are often over tightened, leading to the ball joint hole going oval)

Miles

307 are about the worst thing you can fit, Everything is heavy and unless you want std pads anything uprated is limited and expensive, as above 106 GTi etc are good and do go under 14" rims without the weight, also you can see how quick the 106 stop's so do you need more

speno

He's running 1.9 alloys  . So opens his options a bit more

The Gentleman

Thanks very much for the replies and yes I'm running 1.9 wheels as always loved the look. Sounding like the 1.9 front brakes maybe the favoured route. Are these different to the 1.6 front setup on the car? If they are different On front of 1.6/1.9 can 1.6 have 1.9 caliples bolted straight on or do I need to change other parts? 

dcc

I think the 1.6 can run 1.9 calipers with a 1.6 disk

Ozymandis

Read Welsh`s article, he tells you what can mix and match.

https://www.205gtidrivers.com/articles/articles-guides/brakes-suspension-steering/205-front-hub-differences-what-brakes-fit-etc-r90/

pug_ham
13 hours ago, dcc said:

I think the 1.6 can run 1.9 calipers with a 1.6 disk

It can, I have this set up on one of mine.

An alternate I'm currently trying is to use the Bosch calipers from a 206 or Xsara.

These have the same 48mm piston so won't change the pedal travel but the pad surface contact area is bigger than the 1.9 pads.

g

1.9 GTI pads.jpg

206 pads - Bosch.jpg

wicked

You better pick the later type of the bosch 266mm calipers (late 206 xs/gti /207 / 208, 307, ... ), which have the 54mm piston; bigger improvement and lot of upgraded pads available. 

Piston travel will not change massive, but if you don't like it; fit the 22mm master cylinder.

welshpug

standard refreshed brakes are more than good enough, though if you really do want to 'upgrade'  as miles said be careful what you choose, most newer calipers are very expensive for pads, where the older gti6 lucas/girling caliper can have a clio 17/82 pad which are much cheaper.

way overkill though IMO, as you are still limited by the tyre and suspension, a stock brake can pull an impressive skid!