• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
duurtlang

The ideal suspension setup?

duurtlang

My 1987 CTi has been mostly restored, restomodded maybe. It's a fun weekend driver, not a track car and not a commuter. XU10J2TE, 307 front brakes, Michelin Pilot Sport tires, stock GTi suspension, old dampers. Not lowered in any way, front nor back.

I've noticed that it feels rather floaty, dangerous maybe at higher highway speeds (Germany, so 180+ kmh). While cornering it's far from ideal as well. The rear axle will have to come out to address the last bit of rust on the car (under the back seat). I thought this would be the ideal moment to upgrade to rear discs (306) and upgrade the suspension.

I've read about Bilstein B4 and B6, the former from 306/Xsara as well. There are the 7001 and 7003 springs too. However, I'm utterly uninterested in the lowered 'look' and am merely looking for a capable yet still comfortable suspension that is not or only mildly lowered (10 mm?). It is not a track car, but it should be fun/predictable/confident in the curves. I am willing to give up some comfort, but not much.

I'm looking for advice. What would be the ideal setup here?

IMG_20180625_200758_HDR.jpg

Thijs_Rallye

I can't say that "floaty" handling will be caused by shocks alone. Start by checking everything in your suspension for any play. Do not omit the rear silent blocks under the rear axle, those often crack and are easily missed which will give you "surprising" handling as well. As well as the obvious that the rear axle hasn't seized.

As for the shocks I can recommend the Bilstein B6's.

j_turnell

If you're running a heavy xu10 lump I'd look at the 206 eibachs (7025) with Bilstein b6 dampers. This should only lower the car slightly and you'll benefit from a slightly stiffer spring rate. Worth getting your tracking checked after you make the changes as this will have a big effect on the feel of the car, With the back I'd also look at b6 dampers and maybe a thicker roll bar 22mm-24mm. 

duurtlang

Currently the front suspension is all new, except for the springs and dampers. So no play there, although the dampers might be tired. The rear suspension has not been touched in ages and certainly needs a refresh.

jackherer

Yellow Bilsteins are pretty much your only option if you want to upgrade the dampers without ruining the comfort and NVH. Eibach springs are good for ride comfort too because they are progressively wound.

hoodygoodwood

With regard to the floaty feeling and cornering issues I would check the front hub holes for the wishbone pin - they can oval . Have you changed the driveshafts , there are brand new top brand ones out there that do not allow the hub nut to pull the hub flange and 2 halves of the wheel bearing together .

Tom Fenton

I like the challenge Bilsteins but not for a road car. They are very jittery at lower speeds. Personally for a road car it’s hard to beat new B4 Bilsteins and the Eibach springs.

camgti
17 hours ago, duurtlang said:

Currently the front suspension is all new, except for the springs and dampers. So no play there, although the dampers might be tired. The rear suspension has not been touched in ages and certainly needs a refresh.

Definitely get your rear beam refreshed with new mounts and bushes. If its 25 years old it will be tired and loose. Its scary ro drive sometimes with a bad rear beam. 

Also the mention of checking your lower hub pin hole if its ovalled. Mine did this and was very annoying and felt disconnected to the road. The car had been driven hard with worn lower balljoint bushes which causes more force/movement on the hole. 

Cam

duurtlang
10 hours ago, camgti said:

Definitely get your rear beam refreshed with new mounts and bushes. If its 25 years old it will be tired and loose. Its scary ro drive sometimes with a bad rear beam. 

Also the mention of checking your lower hub pin hole if its ovalled. Mine did this and was very annoying and felt disconnected to the road. The car had been driven hard with worn lower balljoint bushes which causes more force/movement on the hole. 

Cam

It might even be 31 years old ;)

Anyway, the rear suspension will certainly get overhauled and I will check the possibly ovalled lower hub pin holes.

I can choose between 7001 and 7003 Eibach springs. I'm readin different things about how much they will lower the car. If I combine them with Bilstein B4s (from a Xsara?), how many mm will the car be lowered?

Anthony

I've not tried 7003 springs, but 7001 will lower an XU10 engine'd 205 by around 40-45mm or so and - in my opinion from having tried them on my GTi-6 engine'd 205 - end up sitting a little low.

If you don't want to lower the car much, consider the 7025 springs that JTurnell mentioned above as they're probably only around 15mm lower.  There's some pictures in James's build thread if you do a search.