• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

danj.pdx

Fuel Starvation? Common?

danj.pdx

Hi,

I'm driving a recently purchased 1.6 GTi - bone stock - here in the US. Super fun little car, as expected it has tons of charm.

Yesterday while enjoying a 180 degree right hand sweeping corner (constant radius, slightly banked highway on-ramp) I noticed fuel starvation when accelerating out of the last 1/4 of the turn. The fuel gauge - which I think is reasonably accurate - was 1/2 tank.

Not sure where the fuel pickup is on this car. The fuel pump is new. 

Is fuel starvation while cornering a common issue? If so, are there any simple/obvious solutions?

Thanks in advance,

Dan.

Ashman

Hi Dan

Not uncommon when pushed really hard.

You can fit a lovely swirl pot to eliminate the fuel starvation or baffle the tank to help stop the fuel sloshing around too much and causing the pick up pipe to pull up air instead of fuel.

Ashley

boldy205

Might I be right in saying later cars didn't have such a problem? I know mine didnt have a problem until sticky tyres and uprated engine.

What year is the car?

danj.pdx

Hi Guys,

It's a 1992 1.6. The previous owner said he'd installed a new fuel pump. I'm not running race tires, but reasonably sticky summer rated Yokos. I have to find a similar left hand corner and find out if it's the same issue in both directions. With a 1/2 tank of fuel, that's a lot of sloshing!

Thanks for the suggestions. I may think about installing one of these or something like it: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/hydramat/

I'd like to keep the car as stock/OEM as possible. 

Again, thanks for the input.

Dan.

jackherer

Right handers are normally worse, the pump is on the right side of the car.

Phase 2 cars (post 1990) seem to suffer more in my experience.

It's worth lifting the pump assembly out of the tank to check it's all assembled correctly, IIRC there is a part that can become detached that can make the problem much worse.

It's surprising you are having trouble with as much as half a tank of fuel on the road, I've only had surge with that much fuel on tracks.

camgti

Ive had the same issues with an 87/89 and 90 cars. Usually obly on track and anything under 1/2 a tank. 

Also agree with checking the pump fittings.

welshpug

it does vary hugely, I remember lapping llandow in my 89 gti with the fuel light coming on and not having issues.

you have to make sure that any non oem direct replacement pumps are fitted close enough to the bottom of the tank.