• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cobalt_drill_bit

cylinder leak-down test

Cobalt_drill_bit

Hi guys,

I would like to pursue an cylinder leak-down test on my TU1M engine. Because I suspect a blown head gasket.

I have to say that I already made up my mind to go for a leak-down test. What I would like to ask about is something I read in the Haynes manual regarding the related compression test. As Haynes doesn't have a section regarding leak-down test.

Ok, for the compression test on the TU they refer back to chapter 2A*3 (for X engines) because the instructions are likely identical.

Step 3 of the compression test read:

Disable the ignition system by disconnecting the ignition HT coil lead from the distributor cap and earthing it on the cylinder block. Use a jumper lead or similar wire to make a good connection.

My question is what are they trying to achieve there? As I have an engineering background I'm very annoyed by these loose instructions. I have to understand what I am doing.

Despite my annoyance at Haynes I appreciate people who use this forum to help out other members.

Best regards,

Maarten

jackherer

I would imagine they are ensuring there are no stray sparks when you might have e.g. fuel hoses disconnected. Also I think it is possible to damage a coil if they have no path to discharge to ground.

Personally I would unplug the LT side of the coil...

Ozymandis

Best to take the main high tension lead off, then loosely lay it against  the cylinder  head casting or engine block/crankcase, connect your test apparartus, then IMMEDIATELY before you crank the engine over, liberally douse the whole thing with 98 octane gasoline, 4.5 liters or a gallon should be sufficient, place propane gas cylinders in each footwell, one in Your lap helps a lot, 12kg cylinders are sufficient.

Then crank away on the starter. It`s best to do this inside in an enclosed space, a wooden garage is best, but be sure to close and lock the doors before You attempt this. As I have a terrorist insurgent background it does annoy me so much when people DONT lock themselves in the  building first.

jackherer

Even if you did all that the chances are it wouldn't ignite! The air/fuel ratio needs to be within a very small range for a spark to actually do anything.

Haynes still have to cover themselves though for that 1 in a million chance that could get them sued.

Cobalt_drill_bit

I didn't appreciate the parody by Jay. I wasn't opinionated regarding safety. I just don't accept instructions that completely fail to communicate the idea behind it.

Ozymandis

Is your engineering background with Lego?

• Haha 1