• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

Parts advice

Telf

As many will be aware I'm in the middle of my GTI restoration.

I'm looking to completely replace the front suspension components for new, so shocks,springs, top mounts etc.

I've got no intention of saving any of the original parts as they have all covered over 250000 miles

Can anybody offer advice about the best place to source the parts from and should I be going for Peugeot parts or are there better options?

I'd like to keep it standard but if better quality parts are available I'm happy to go with recommendations

Thanks very much

springs.jpg

Edited by Telf

Tom Fenton

Dampers, Bilstein B4 are what I’d buy. Springs are difficult as many of the pattern replacements sit the car far too high. I would (and did) have the originals blasted and powder coated.

Top mounts, there are plenty of decent quality aftermarket options, SKF, etc

Telf

im right in thinking that original GTi springs where black right?

Tom Fenton

YES

Telf

that was quick- thanks Tom, I thought so- I don't remember my 1.6 back in 1993 having red or yellow springs !

DamirGTI

They're different between the 1.6/1.9 - 1.6 black with red paint markings , 1.9 black with yellow paint markings .

D

• Like 1

Telf

Damir,

DO you have a picture?

DamirGTI

Of the 1.6 springs , yes can do an photo , i have them removed and stashed somewhere @ my shed .. 1.9 springs , they're all on my 205's so unfortunately don't have any removed for a comparison/photo .

Can't remember what was the difference between the two the overall spring length or the coil thickness ?!?

D

• Like 1

DamirGTI

http://www.miamistu.co.uk/pug/GB/205F/5/50A50A.HTM

A bit confusing ! so can be 2x red or 2x yellow markings for injection 205's ?!? .. though i'm 100% sure i have red (1.6) and yellow (1.9) mark springs on my 205's ... 1.6 was an bog standard/original Ph1 when i bought it .

D

Edited by DamirGTI
  • Like 1

welshpug

yeah  my 1.9 had 2 yellow marks.

• Like 1

Telf

Im also getting the spare wheel cradle powdered coated- I am right that that was painted the colour of the body (red for me) and not black or silver or something else?

pug_ham

I have a couple of wheel cradles off my cars & they are all body coloured like you say.

g

• Thanks 1

petert
On 10/5/2018 at 2:14 AM, DamirGTI said:

Can't remember what was the difference between the two the overall spring length or the coil thickness ?!?

1.9 springs, from my data:

no of active coils 5.5

d 0.5"

D 6.22"

FL 12.83"

love some good imperial data, even for European stuff

• Thanks 1

Telf

well I think im going to get mine blasted then powder coated- hence Im trying to get the colour right

barneys66

Im also getting the spare wheel cradle powdered coated- I am right that that was painted the colour of the body (red for me) and not black or silver or something else?

Have you decided to stick with Red..?

Edited by barneys66
Idiocy.